From: "Gentry, Philip" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: October 7, 2013, 2:36:31 PM EDT
To: Christa Steinkamp <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: HCYF Chop Shop at the Georgia National Fair

Each year, the Georgia National Fair has around 450,000 people come through the gates. The fair appeals to everyone with its livestock and horse shows, educational exhibits, midway rides and games, commercial vendors, major concerts, nightly fireworks, and last but not least, the wide variety of delicious food.

In 2007, the Houston County Young Farmers opened a booth at the fair, known as the Chop Shop. There are over 100 members who work the booth every year. Fifty of these members are from our very own, Perry High School FFA. The Houston County Young Farmers have been providing services for the last fifteen years, also volunteering and helping with livestock shows at the fair.

The chop shop is a fundraiser to support 4H and FFA projects, and to promote agriculture among youth. When interviewing Dan Roberts, president of Houston County Young Farmers, he stated that by hosting the Chop Shop each year, itsupports youth ag in our area and raises money for goat, cattle, and pig shows.

At the Chop Shop, there is a variety of food. Our signature dish is a smoked pork chop served on two slices of light bread with the biggest and best sweet tea on the fairgrounds. We also serve delicious smoked sausage dogs, locally made by Barlows Meat Processing. While you’re eating our delicious food don’t forget to buy one of our Chop Shop t-shirts.

Perry High School FFA Reporter, Kelley Lavender

Philip Gentry's I-Phone.478-214-4564