Earlier this afternoon the GVATA board emailed out the schedule of breakout sessions for the Summer Teacher’s Conference that will take place next week. As you review the schedule of breakout workshops, please be aware of the following information.

Preparing for your National CDE (2 sessions)

These two sessions are designed specifically for teachers who have national qualifying CDE teams/individuals for this coming National FFA Convention. You will receive important information about getting your students certified, utilizing the scoring rubric and suggestions on how to prepare from teachers who have been successful on the National level. If you have a national CDE competitor this fall, please make it a point to attend one of these two sessions.

State FFA Degree: Making sure your students qualify

This session is aimed at teachers who have struggled with State FFA Degree applications, or have never submitted one. There are NO CHANGES to the State Degree qualifications this year. The purpose of this session is to help teachers know how to start their students on the path to earning the State FFA Degree when they first enter AgEd. If you do not have a traditional FFA/AgEd background, are not comfortable with what the State FFA Degree is, or have trouble getting your students to complete this application, please attend this workshop.

How to be successful in the Agricultural Communications CDE

The Ag Communications CDE is very practical event that teaches students important skills they can use the rest of their lives, regardless of the career they choose. If you have never coached an Ag Communications team, or if you have never had much luck with the CDE, then please attend this workshop.

Georgia FFA/AgEd Record Keeping System: Making it work for your program

Beginning in 2013, there are two methods of record keeping accepted to meet the Program of Work standard regarding student SAE record keeping. One method is to utilize the AET online record keeping system (see the AET breakouts), the other is to use the Georgia FFA/AgEd Record Keeping System. If you are unfamiliar with the Georgia record book, or if you are not sure how your students can actually use it, please attend this session.

American Degree & Proficiency Award application update (4 sessions)

There will be new applications for the Proficiency Award and American FFA Degree for the 2014-2015 school year! These sessions are designed to show you how to complete the new applications. I realize that there are many options, but I encourage everyone to attend at least one of these sessions.

I look forward to seeing you all on Jekyll Island. Please let me know if you have questions.

Ben

Ben Lastly

Executive Secretary

Georgia FFA Association