I know this is last minute, but I just received the information below. If
you are going to be in the Athens area tomorrow evening, sounds like this
could be very interesting.

Josh Allen
North Region Ag Education
204 Four Towers
Athens, GA 30602
706-552-4466 office
706-202-0770 cell

*We are hoping for about 30 people to attend this event, download the free
app, then start entering opinions and photos for our area. I have invited
Master Gardeners, but we are hoping for students, horticulturists, garden
center folks, etc. to also be here. We will have some snacks and drinks and
there will be a few TShirt giveaways, but it is really all about starting
up a new app and helping others with useful information about plants that
do well in our area. Please invite horticulture/ landscape students and
organizations, GGIA, anyone who knows something about plants and thinks
this would be fun. Just bring your smartphone and the guy from GrowIt! will
tell us about this new app and how to enter data. *

*GrowIt! Launch Event*

*Help create the newest plant app!*

Thursday, July 17        6:00 – 7:30 pm

The State Botanical Garden of Georgia

GrowIt! is, a mobile app that is also social. It helps you find plants and
ideas that work well in your area by connecting you to photos and comments
of gardeners in the same area. It will be available in the App Store in
July, but before it can be marketed on a large scale, folks around the
country need to be entering data.

*GrowIt! is* an initiative of Ball Horticultural Company, but includes all
plants, not just one brand. The goal is to engage the next generation of
gardeners (Millennials mostly, ages 20-38).  This free mobile app is the
first of its kind creating a social platform for users to promote plants
they love and help others steer clear of plants that just don’t perform.
The app uses geo-locating technology in the phone to ensure that the users
only see local information.  This will help ensure the next generation
gardener knows what they should and should not buy so that their first
gardening experience is a success.

To make this a successful tool for the next generation content needs to be
built within the app.  An important aspect of GrowIt! is that it runs
entirely on user submission with none of the digitally enhanced images that
can come from big brands.  So….we need REAL images from REAL gardeners
supporting a real social network.  So GrowIt! Is hosting a gathering at the
State Botanical Garden of Georgia Visitor Center (2450 South Milledge
Avenue, Athens), where garden enthusiasts from the community download the
app, walk around the gardens, take photos, and rate plants.

Your comments and photos will help guide new gardeners on the best plants
and the ones to avoid. Check it out at www.facebook.com/growitapp or
www.twitter.com/growitmobile.

Contact Connie for more information at 706-542-6014 or [log in to unmask]

*Connie Cottingham*

Publicity and Special Events Coordinator

The State Botanical Garden of Georgia

2450 South Milledge Avenue, Athens, Georgia 30605

706-542-6014           Fax: 706-542-3091

*Visit the State Botanical Garden of Georgia website
<http://botgarden.uga.edu/>.*

*Follow us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/botgarden>.   Visit us on
Pinterest <http://pinterest.com/botgardenga/>.   Read our blog
<http://statebotgardenga.blogspot.com/>. *