>, "Will R. Getz" <
We have 1052 goats entered in the state show. We have only one (1) goat entered in the Georgia Market Goat Carcass of Merit Contest.
Complete details on the carcass contest are in the State show rule book on page 14 at:
Exhibitors in 7-12th grade can enter. At the time of check-in at the state show the exhibitor designates which one of his/her goats will be loaded following the state show to be harvested at Fort Valley. Entry fee is $20 and there is some good prize
money (see below).
We will extend the entry deadline for the Georgia Market Goat Carcass of Merit Contest to August 22. If you have an exhibitor who whats to participate, send me the name of the exhibitor and county/chapter name with a check
for $20 by Friday, Aug. 22.
Make check payable to: Georgia Junior Livestock Shows
Rhodes Animal Science
Athens, GA 30602
Short version of rules (complete details in rulebook):
GEORGIA MARKET GOAT CARCASS OF MERIT CONTEST
1. The Market Goat Carcass of Merit Contest (CMC) will occur in concert with the state market goat show during the Georgia
National Fair (GNF).
2. Eligible participants include 4-H and FFA students in 7th– 12th grade in school.
3. Each exhibitor is entitled to enter only one market goat – wether or doe.
4. Goats entered in the CMC must have been entered and shown in the GNF live market goat show.
5. Specific goats entered must be declared by ear tag number and verified at weigh-in.
6. A maximum total number of entries in 2014 will be 40 - 50. Early entries will have first priority
1. Entry fee will be $20 per goat entered, which will contribute toward the premium money pool.
2. Sponsors are expected to provide additional premium funds to support awards of at least $500 1st place, $450 2nd place and
subsequent $50 intervals through ten places. More generous awards will be made if justified by additional financial support.
3. Premiums will be paid through at least 10 placings, or as dictated by available funds and the ad hoc market goat
4. Goats will be purchased for the verified (USDA reported) prevailing market goat price in country markets during the week of
Lead Sponsor for 2014: FVSU College of Agriculture, Family Science and Technology – Cooperative Extension Program and
Georgia Small Ruminant Research and Extension Center.
Extension Animal Scientist
Rhodes Animal & Dairy Science
Athens, GA 30602