From: Brashears, Todd <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Subject: [Aaae] The Positive Message of what Ag Provides
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

 Colleagues,

Recent media campaigns by special interest groups have seized the upper
hand in controlling the message from the agricultural sector.  Far too
often, as the leaders in agricultural education, we have been reactionary
with our message of positive outcomes and support for our stakeholders.  We
now have an opportunity to change this stance and provide a positive
message in response to a negative attack.

 On October 2nd, a consortium of special interest groups including our
friends at PETA, FARM, The Humane League and others will launch a massive
social media effort to paint animal agriculture in negative light.  The
campaign is call FAST AGAINST SLAUGHTER and will include post such as this
one on every possible social media outlet.  This campaign will reach
millions of individuals worldwide with the single message that animals are
starved, beaten and abused by our nation’s farmers.

See this campaign here: https://www.facebook.com/farmanimalrights?fref=photo

Rather than reactionary, uncoordinated, individual responses on October
2nd, I propose a positive, collaborative campaign of our own.  The graduate
student organization at TTU has developed materials with the positive
message that agriculture is essential in the global fight against food
insecurity.  Those materials are attached.  Feel free to alter and
personalize anything in these documents.

Our grad student group has created a Facebook page called *AgProvides*
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ag-Provides/1498882697018265?sk=timeline,
Twitter https://twitter.com/AgProvides  page and handle  (@agprovides), and
the hashtag #AgProvides to connect us together. In these ways, we will
share additional resources for the campaign. During the next four weeks
they will be coordinating dozens of student organizations in the college,
local FFA chapters and industry leaders to provide food for the local food
bank.

*I CHALLENGE YOU AND YOUR STUDENTS TO DO THE SAME.*

Though our nationwide network of the best and brightest communicators and
educators available, we want to offset the damage this group will do by
filling our local food banks and help fight food insecurity rather than
compound the problem through a negative, unwarranted attack on the very
people who feed the nation and the world.  It is time we use our expertise
to help support our producers. Start by liking
https://www.facebook.com/agprovides and posting facts about what Ag
Provides in your area.  Then speak to your student group about getting
involved.  We don’t want you going door-to-door collecting food.  We want
your student leaders to organize every college group, club, organization,
local industry and FFA Chapters.  This should be a community effort.

On October 2nd, instead of responding, commenting, sharing their message,
let’s positively share pictures and stories of the good things agriculture
professionals can do by donating food for those in need.

We don’t own this campaign or want control of it.  We want it to take on a
life of its own through work on each campus.  We will spend the next four
weeks collecting food and using #AgProvides to document our efforts on
social media.  We ask that you do the same.

Sincerely,
Todd

Todd Brashears, Ed.D.
Associate Professor