I want to notify you of a situation with the model 12S432 Briggs and
Stratton Engine that we plan to use in the Area and State Ag Mechanics CDEs
this fiscal year.  This horizontal shaft, single cylinder, OHV engine is
now discontinued by B&S and is no longer in production.

If you go to the Briggs and Stratton website and look for the "education"
engine you will find the model engine that we have purchased to use in the
CDEs.  If you try to purchase a set of these engines you will find that
they have been recently discontinued.  You might be able to find an
individual engine (Northern Tool, Acme Tools, Amazon, etc...) but class
sets are no longer available.

What does this mean for you as a teacher in reference to the CDE and future
use?  I will explain.

   - We will continue to use this engine in the FY15 CDEs
   - The manual used for this engine (B&S part # 276781-8/09) covers 13
   model series OHV engines.  You probably already have an engine covered by
   this manual.
   - The skill practicums planned for FY15 CDEs can be practiced on any
   engine covered in the manual.

This challenge should not adversely affect your training and preparation of
teams.  The use of this manual and similar engines will adequately allow
you to prepare teams for the CDE.  I have received a call from one teacher
that could not purchase a set from SEDCO but we found individual engines
for sale to remedy that problem.  I simply wanted to make each of you aware
of the situation.

If  you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me
and let me know.

Sincerely,

Kevin

--