Fellow teachers,

Below is an email that was sent from Superintendent Woods to all school systems last week regarding Ag Awareness activities. I would encourage you to look over these and have your middle or high school students participate. It is awesome to see the Department of Education partnering with the Department of Agriculture to promote this and I hope that we will have strong support from our South Region schools. You will notice that there is also a coloring contest for elementary students. You may want to consider having some of your FFA students conduct an Ag Awareness activity with an elementary school or class and use this as one component of the activity.

Thanks for all you do and if you have any questions, please let me know.

Lynn Barber

From: Richard Woods
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2015 12:48 PM
To: K12 Superintendents; RESA Directors; K12 Principals
Subject: Agriculture Awareness activities for schools

Good afternoon,

The Georgia Department of Education and Georgia Department of Agriculture will celebrate National Agriculture Week from March 15 to March 21, 2015. Additionally, the Governor’s Agriculture Day celebration will take place March 10, 2015.

As part of our celebrations, GaDOE and the Department of Agriculture will hold an essay contest, poster contest, and coloring contest for students. All entries should focus on the 2015 theme, “Agriculture in my county & state: What does agriculture do for me?” The top three entries from each school (or, for the coloring contest – the top three entries per grade level, per school) are due no later than Friday, April 3.

Additional guidelines are included in the documents attached. Please view these documents before submitting entries.

We hope you will participate and have fun celebrating the importance of agriculture in our state!

Sincerely,

Richard Woods

Georgia’s School Superintendent