Teachers:

Here is the latest information on Avian Influenza, I have the most recent web addresses for information.  I would recommend passing it along to any of your student's with Poultry/Game Bird SAE's or Young Farmer Members.

From discussions with Georgia Department of Ag., Bio-Security is the key.  We all know this, but it is always good to be reminded.  Another point is the main source of possible contamination is the migratory bird population.  Remember this in your Bio-Security plans about contact with migratory birds, such as duck hunting in the fall.

The risk of humans contracting AI is low and if it were to occur would mostly likely be from coming in contact with a contaminated birds secretions.

Information is below on Bio-Security measures as well as other information you can use as Bell Ringers and other discussion points.

Those of you involved with Poultry Shows, the Department of Ag. has not eliminated the possibility of hosting those shows (at this time).  But most shows would probably require an AI test for each bird entered.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call your Area Animal Science Teacher or Georgia Department of Agriculture at 404/656-3665.

Georgia Department of Agriculture Statement:

http://agr.georgia.gov/avian-influenza.aspx

Georgia Department of Agriculture FAQ's:

http://www.agr.georgia.gov/Data/Sites/1/media/ag_animalindustry/livestock_and_poultry/files/avianinfluenzabirdflufaqs.pdf

USDA Statement:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/birdbiosecurity/AI/

USDA brochures and Information Packets: