We received the email and picture copied below from the Superintendent of
the J. Phil Campbell Research Center where landjudging was held last
Thursday.

I think it is appropriate that we all take time to realize that character
traits and good citizenship may be more important to instill in our
students than technical skills and knowledge. Everywhere we go, whether it
be FFA Camp, J. Phil Campbell, Taylor Farms, various other schools,
Appalachian Technical College or the Commerce Civic Center, we are guests
and people are going out of their way to accommodate us and our activities.
I know the weather was wet and miserable but there is really no excuse for
leaving trash behind and expecting our host to clean up after us. I know
you would expect nothing less of your students than that they respect the
property and belongings of others and that they show appreciation for the
work of others on their behalf.

I know we all agree that character, integrity, respect, and humility will
take students much farther in life than anything else we can teach them.
Let us all take a minute from the spirit of competition and the desire to
win to reflect on what is really important.

I thank all of you in advance for helping me make sure a situation like
this never happens again.

Stan

*I’m attaching a photo of some of the trash that my guys have picked up
since the landjudging contest. Apparently my grain wagons and tractors were
the favorite dumping grounds.  I’m not happy with the lack of respect some
of these young folks showed the Research and Education Center.*

*Eric*

Eric Elsner

Superintendent

J.Phil Campbell Sr. Research and Education Center

1420 Experiment Station Rd.

Watkinsville, GA 30677
--
Stan Mitchell