We received the email and picture copied below from the Superintendent of the J. Phil Campbell Research Center where landjudging was held last Thursday.

I think it is appropriate that we all take time to realize that character traits and good citizenship may be more important to instill in our students than technical skills and knowledge. Everywhere we go, whether it be FFA Camp, J. Phil Campbell, Taylor Farms, various other schools, Appalachian Technical College or the Commerce Civic Center, we are guests and people are going out of their way to accommodate us and our activities. I know the weather was wet and miserable but there is really no excuse for leaving trash behind and expecting our host to clean up after us. I know you would expect nothing less of your students than that they respect the property and belongings of others and that they show appreciation for the work of others on their behalf.

I know we all agree that character, integrity, respect, and humility will take students much farther in life than anything else we can teach them. Let us all take a minute from the spirit of competition and the desire to win to reflect on what is really important.

I thank all of you in advance for helping me make sure a situation like this never happens again.

Stan

I’m attaching a photo of some of the trash that my guys have picked up since the landjudging contest. Apparently my grain wagons and tractors were the favorite dumping grounds.  I’m not happy with the lack of respect some of these young folks showed the Research and Education Center.

Eric

Eric Elsner

Superintendent

J.Phil Campbell Sr. Research and Education Center

1420 Experiment Station Rd.

Watkinsville, GA 30677

--
Stan Mitchell