Dear Xiao and Rob,

Thank you both very much for your quick responses. I will give the simulation in TIP5P water a try and look forward to any future developments.

Many thanks,

Sam

From: Users of GLYCAM & GLYCAM-Web [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Xiaocong Wang
Sent: 11 May 2016 14:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Xylose Ring Conformation Problem

Dear Mr./Ms. Walpole,

We did notice such discrepancies for beta-D-xylopyranoside in MD simulations and NMR observations.  We investigated the origin of this issue, which could result from insufficient energy barrier for ring-flip in pyranose rings.  We calculated the energy barrier for tetrahydropyran (THP) in both QM and MM, and the energy barrier calculated from MM is about 2 kcal/mol lower than the one calculated from QM.  We are looking into force field parameters to fix this problem.

While we are looking into this issue, we would suggest applying the TIP5P water model.  We observed better agreements between MD simulations and NMR results when the TIP5P water model was applied.

When this insufficient ring flip barrier issue is fixed, I will update the solution on the listserver.

Best regards,

Xiao

Xiaocong Wang

Complex Carbohydrate Research Center