Dear members of the ciliate research community,

Today I was deeply saddened to receive a phone call from Jean Nanney
informing me of the passing away of David L. Nanney, my PhD mentor and
almost a second parent to me. For newcomers to our field, David
established the field of Tetrahymena genetics, and made seminal
contributions to Tetrahymena biology. As a PhD student of Tracy M.
Sonneborn -- the initiator of the microbial genetics field -- David
contributed to the early understanding of epigenetics in Paramecium. His
legacy remains a foundation for much of the exciting on-going scientific
work in our field.

Sadly yours,

Eduardo Orias

Research Professor,