I am sorry to hear this Ed. Our condolences to you, Judy and the entire ciliate community.
Best wishes,
Judy
Judith Van Houten, Ph.D.
University Distinguished Professor
University of Vermont
Department of Biology
Burlington, VT 05405
Phone 802-656-0452
FAX 802-656-2914
On 6/4/2016 11:23 AM, Ed Orias wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Dear members of the ciliate research community,

Today I was deeply saddened to receive a phone call from Jean Nanney informing me of the passing away of David L. Nanney, my PhD mentor and almost a second parent to me. For newcomers to our field, David established the field of Tetrahymena genetics, and made seminal contributions to Tetrahymena biology. As a PhD student of Tracy M. Sonneborn -- the initiator of the microbial genetics field -- David contributed to the early understanding of epigenetics in Paramecium. His legacy remains a foundation for much of the exciting on-going scientific work in our field.

Sadly yours,

Eduardo Orias

Research Professor,

Dept. of MCD Biology,