My long-term colleague, Norman E. Williams, passed away on October 24, 2016, in Iowa City, Iowa. He was a model scientist, involved in all phases of scientific research from the formulation of hypotheses to the washing of his dishes in the laboratory. He had no ambition other than to do good science, preferably at the bench,  and to learn more about how his favorite organisms (of the genus Tetrahymena)  were put together, especially in their complex surface organization.

I am attaching a short essay on  "Norman E. Williams in Remembrance", derived in large part from his formal obituary. A more extensive “In Memoriam” article stressing his specific scientific accomplishments will come later.