I am writing to request nominations to fill three vacancies in the Tetrahymena Research Advisory (TetRA) Board.  Nominations should be submitted to me (Jeff Kapler, chair of TetRA Board) via email ([log in to unmask]) by Thursday, December 1.  Self-nominations are encouraged.  If you nominate someone else, be sure to include an email address so we can verify her/his willingness to serve if elected.  You DO NOT have to work with Tetrahymena to be on the board.  We are looking for individuals who are committed to advocating for ciliates in research and education.

TetRA Board holds monthly meetings via Skype to identify and act on issues that impact the ciliate molecular biology research community.  Since its inception in 2011, TetRA Board has addressed a wide range of topics.  They include (1) the security and expansion of community resources in stock centers and genome databases, (2) the challenges associated with re-tooling research in the era of genomics and bioinformatics, and effectively disseminating ‘big data’ for use by others, (3) advocating for ciliate molecular biology research to federal granting agencies, elected government officials and the general population (see Why Ciliates video (https://vimeo.com/174609655)), (4) initiation and/or support of grassroots efforts (example: 2014 community-wide gene annotation project) and the securing of federal resources for research and education (examples: letters of support for the Tetrahymena Stock Center grant renewal and Cornell ASSET program, tetrahymenaasset.vet.cornell.edu), and (5) networking with other model system research communities and societies that support basic science research (examples: participation in The Allied Genetics Conference (examples: TACG, Orlando 2016; http://www.genetics2016.org/), and development of a longer term affiliation with the Genetics Society of America). I strongly encourage you to get involved and work on behalf of the greater ciliate molecular biology community by self-nominating or nominating a colleague to serve on the Tetrahymena Research Advisory Board.

CURRENT BOARD (6 elected members with 4 year terms)

Elected members:

Jeff Kapler, Texas A&M, chair

Doug Chalker, Washington University, St. Louis, vice chair

Bob Coyne, JCVI/NSF

Cristina Miceli, University of Camerino

Aaron Turkewitz, University of Chicago

Mark Winey, University of California, Davis

Ex Officio members:

Ted Clark (Tetrahymena Stock Center director)

Naomi Stover (Tetrahymena Genome Database curator)

Wei Miao (Tetrahymena Functional Genome Database curator)

Emily Wiley (Undergraduate Research and Education)

Chad Pearson, Naomi Stover, Martin Simon (Organizers of the 2018 Ciliate Molecular Biology meeting)

Upcoming Board Elections (position start date January 1, 2017)

Vacancy 1: Kapler position

Vacancy 2: Chalker position

Vacancy 3: Coyne position

Nominations should be submitted to [log in to unmask] by Thursday, December 1.  Self-nominations are encouraged.  If you nominate someone else, be sure to include an email address so we can verify her/his willingness to serve if elected.  On behalf of TetRA Board, thanks for getting involved in whatever way you can.

Jeff

Geoffrey Kapler, Ph.D.
Jean and Tom McMullin Professor of Genetics
Head, Department of Molecular and Cellular Medicine
Texas A&M University Health Science Center
Reynolds 440
College Station, TX 77843-1114
phone: (979) 436-0859
fax: (979) 847-9481