On behalf of the current Tetrahymena Research Advisory (TetRA) Board, I would like to congratulate Jacek Gaertig, Sabrice Guerrier and Sean Taverna, who were elected to 4-year terms.  I would also like to thank the other candidates, Laura Landweber and Laszlo Kohidai, both of whom received very strong support in the election.

Jacek, Sabrice and Sean will replace Doug Chalker, Bob Coyne and me (Jeff Kapler).  Doug and I will continue to meet with the board in an ex officio capacity to facilitate the transition, since we have both served as chair.  I want to congratulate Bob who has recently moved to NIH, where he is serving as Scientific Review Officer (SRO) at the National Cancer Institute.  Bob has made enormous contributions to the Tetrahymena community.

I expect that the new TetRA leadership will generate fresh ideas for ways to support ciliate molecular biology research.  I encourage all of you to engage the board with your ideas and offer your service on behalf of the community.

Jeff Kapler

Geoffrey Kapler, Ph.D.

Jean and Tom McMullin Professor of Genetics

Head, Department of Molecular and Cellular Medicine

Texas A&M University Health Science Center

Reynolds 440

College Station, TX 77843-1114

phone: (979) 436-0859

fax: (979) 847-9481

2017 TetRA Board

Elected members:

Jacek Gaertig, University of Georgia (2021)

Sabrice Guerrier, Millsaps College (2021)

Cristina Miceli, University of Camerino (2019)

Sean Taverna, Johns Hopkins University (2021)

Aaron Turkewitz, University of Chicago (2019)

Mark Winey, University of California, Davis (2019)

Ex Officio members:

Ted Clark (Tetrahymena Stock Center Director)

Naomi Stover (Tetrahymena Genome Database Curator)

Wei Miao (Tetrahymena Functional Genome Database Curator)

Emily Wiley (Undergraduate Research and Education)

Chad Pearson, Naomi Stover, Martin Simon (Organizers of the 2018 Ciliate Molecular Biology meeting)

Doug Chalker (past TetRA Board chair)

Jeff Kapler (past TetRA Board chair)

TetRA Board holds monthly meetings via Skype to identify and acts on issues that impact the ciliate molecular biology research community.  Since its inception in 2011, TetRA Board has addressed a wide range of topics.  They include (1) the security and expansion of community resources in stock centers and genome databases, (2) the challenges associated with re-tooling research in the era of genomics and bioinformatics, and effectively disseminating ‘big data’ for use by others, (3) advocating for ciliate molecular biology research to federal granting agencies, elected government officials and the general population (see Why Ciliates video (https://vimeo.com/191812936)), (4) initiation and/or support of grassroots efforts (example: 2014 community-wide gene annotation project) and the securing of federal resources for research and education (examples: letters of support for the Tetrahymena Stock Center grant renewal and Cornell ASSET program, tetrahymenaasset.vet.cornell.edu), and (5) networking with other model system research communities and societies that support basic science research (examples: participation in The Allied Genetics Conference (examples: TACG, Orlando 2016; http://www.genetics2016.org/), and development of a longer term affiliation with the Genetics Society of America).