Ag Teachers,

Happy National FFA Week! I hope that you had a nice weekend and that your week is off to a good start.

It is time to announce state finalists in the proficiency award program! I’m proud to report that just over 500 proficiency award applications were submitted statewide. There are 47 national proficiency award categories and Georgia has three state finlistts in 45 of those 47 categories. Thank you to each of you who submitted a student proficiency application for helping develop supervised agricultural experience programs.

Each Region has announced their Region placings of proficiency award applications today. Each Region winner is a State Finalist. There were a handful of categories that did not have three Regional winners. In those categories, the 2nd place applications from the other Regions were evaluated to determine the 3rd state finalist. The official list of 2017 State Proficiency Award Finalists is attached. Each student listed in each category will have the opportunity to be the state winner.

These students will interview on Thursday, April 27, at the 89th Georgia FFA Convention. The results will be announced live on stage on Friday, April 28, at session three which begins at 10:30 a.m. I will send out more specific information and guidelines concerning the state proficiency interviews in early March.

An interview schedule will be posted by Friday, March 31. Each state finalist is expected to attend the Convention on Thursday to interview. If you know of a reason why a finalist cannot attend the Convention for their interview, please let me know as quickly as possible.

Finally, please be in communication with your Region office to make updates to applications before they are returned for state judging.  Congratulations to these students and their advisors!

Ben Lastly
Executive Secretary
Georgia FFA Association
316 Poultry Science – UGA