Ag Teachers,

As you wrap up the school year and prepare to head for the summer, we need to peak ahead to the National FFA Convention very soon. This email contains information about nominating a student to serve as an official delegate for the Georgia Association at the 90th National FFA Convention.

Each year, based on membership, each state is issued a number of official delegate positions. For the past few years Georgia’s number has been 25 delegates. We have increased again in membership, so I expect that number to remain at least at 25, and may increase. That means we have the responsibility of sending 25 students to the National Convention for the delegate process to represent our Association. We begin filling those delegate positions with our state officers. The remaining delegate positions are filled with outstanding FFA members based on an application. Attached is the application to serve as a National Convention Delegate. The application can also be found on the Georgia FFA website (www.georgiaffa.org) by clicking on the FFA tab, then the Applications link. A direct link to the application is below.

http://www.georgiaffa.org/page.aspx?ID=17

Who can apply?
Any high school FFA member can apply, but preference will be given to current 12th graders (class of 2017) and rising 12th graders (class of 2018).

When/Where/How are applications due?
Applications should be received in the State FFA Office by June 15.
Applications can be mailed, or scanned and emailed. However, applications must be typed and have all necessary signatures in order to be considered.

If my student is selected, what happens?
A list of the students who are selected to serve as delegates will be emailed to the state AgEd listserv by July 15. Those students will then receive a letter from me notifying them of their selection and asking them to call me by a specified date to either accept or decline their nomination. Students who accept their nomination will be expected to attend our Delegate orientation meeting at Camp John Hope in September. The students will also be expected to commit the entire week of the National Convention. Delegates will all travel together and leave Georgia on Sunday, October 22 and return on Sunday, October 29. The Georgia FFA Association will pay for the delegates transportation and hotel expenses, and the Georgia FFA Foundation will provide each student with a meal stipend to offset the cost of their food for the week.

If you have any questions, please let me know. We are looking for the best and brightest that Georgia FFA has to represent us in this important role. Please nominate a great student to serve as a National Convention delegate.

Ben Lastly
Executive Secretary
Georgia FFA Association
316 Poultry Science – UGA