T-shirt orders are due TODAY at 2 pm. and  The following schools have ordered t-shirts:

Area 1: Fannin Co, Floyd Co., and Rockmart
Area 2: Apalachee, Lumpkin, Malcolm Bridge, and Madison Co HS

 Registration is open for the North Region Environmental/Natural Resources CDE. Area I will be at Cass High School on Thursday, Sept. 28th, 2017. Area 2 ENR will be at Banks County High School on  Tuesday, Sept 26th, 2017.   Registration is from 3:30 to 4:15 and the contest will start at 4:30. I would like to start Jr. Teams at 4:00 if possible. If they cannot be there at 4:00 I will start them as they get there up until 4:30. The Jr. Teams will need to complete the GPS Practicum and I.D. while the Sr. Teams do the team test. If we wait and start all of the Jr. and Sr. teams at the same time, it will probably get dark before we can finish the GPS Practicum.

The T-shirt design is attached at the bottom of this e-mail

Registration for the CDE closes on 9/22/17 at 11 p.m.

The Environmental/Natural Resources CDE is a four-person team event. This Sr. event is open to students in grades 9-12 who are agricultural education students and the Jr. event is open to middle school and 9th graders that are paid members of a chartered FFA chapter. Each student's
name must appear on the chapter's FFA roster at least 10 days prior to competition.

During the Area CDEs, teams will complete a multiple choice team test (taken as a group), GPS Practicum, and an General Identification Practicum. (Jr. Team members will not do the team test.)

The topic for this year's team test is Soils. Testing material can be found at www.gaaged.org. Click on "Curriculum and SAE," "Curriculum." "High School Curriculum," "Forestry/Natural Resources," "Forest/Natural Resources Management," and the Natural Resources Management class curriculum. The test material will come from lessons 4.1 (Importance of Soil), 4.2 (Physical Properties of Soil), and 4.4 (Appraising Environmental Impact).

Students will need to bring GPS units with them to the CDE. Each team should have at least 2 units and extra batteries. The map datum needs to be set on NAD83 and the coordinate system should be set to degrees/minutes/seconds. If your particular unit breaks the seconds down to tenths of seconds, that is OK. They will need to always set the tenths to 0(zero).

The students will be given the first latitude and longitude of the first placard they are to locate. When they arrive at this point there will be a card stapled to the placard that has a number that corresponds to the first location point they were to find.

There will also be a scientific name of one of the trees listed on the Identification portion of the CDE. They need to copy this down on their answer sheet and they look and see what number the card tells them to go to next. This number will be the second location point. The latitude and longitude for this point will be listed under the point number. They will enter this into their GPS and locate it.

They will repeat this process until they find four (4) points. After finding and recording the 4th point they will return to the starting station. At the starting station, they will need to time out before they write in the Common Names of the trees they located. Spelling of the common and scientific name does count. Please remember that this is a timed event. They have 30 minutes to find all 4 placards and write the common names. Two points will be deducted for each minute over 30 that it takes them to complete this portion of the CDE. Time will be called after 45 minutes.

The identification practicum will consist of 50 items. Each item will count as 2 points. Students may be required to identify the item from the actual sample, a mounted or preserved sample, a photograph, a written description or a sign of the item, such as track or a fruit or cone. A word bank will be provided to students at the competition.

Inline image 2

--
Brandon Ray
North Region Forestry Teacher