The fourth character is simply a placeholder that differentiates the ring
conformations that are built. There are currently three that are used
(4uA1/4uA2/4uA3) that build the 1C4, 2So, and 4C1 conformations (not
necessarily in that order). This is currently only performed for IdoA due
to the flexibility of the ring compared to other monosaccharides.

Note that tLeap ignores the fourth character when reading PDB files.

Best,
David

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Laura Morris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Recently I've gotten a PDB file from glycam.org that contains residues
> 4uA1 and 0uA1.
>
> Why is there a 1 in the residue designation and are these really 4uA and
> 0uA?
>
> --
> Laura C. Morris
> Scientific Computing Professional