*1 week with 12 HOLES TO FILL!!!*

Please be reminded of a few points of interest:

1. If we do not fill our holes the other regions will.

2. You still have time to have a student fill out an application. (ONE WEEK)

3. Most categories at this point ONLY have one entry on the google doc.
There are still many of you that have not submitted what you are intending
to turn in on February 1st. Having more than one in a category will help if
one actually does not fit/meet the criteria of that category.

*Empty Categories (as of 1/25/18):*

Ag Mech Energy Systems - E/P

 Agriscience Animal Systems Research

Diversified Crop Production - Entrepreneurship

Diversified Horticulture - E/P

Food Science and Technology - E/P

Emerging Agricultural Technology - E/P

Environmental Science and Natural Resources Management - E/P

Grain Production - Entrepreneurship

Grain Production - Placement

Nursery Operations - E/P

Specialty Crop Production - E/P

Turf Grass Management - E/P

OUR SOUTH REGION GOAL is to be a consistent competitor with our student's
SAEs on the state level *(which means 20 again)*. Please review the past
tips information at the bottom of this email to help you with your students
applications. Also the quality of applications have increased over the past
few years due to the judging process that the South Region has in place.
Using Agriculture Teachers to judge the applications helps with instruction
of students filling out applications in the future. Please take the
opportunity to learn more by judging. The link to sign up to serve to judge
is below. Judging will take place on  *February 7th*. This is a change from
the hard copy calendar that you received at Summer Teachers Conference.
Breakfast and lunch will be provided. *It is not too late to sign up to
judge! *

*Yes I will help judge!
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdiXrvPpC8lV3lzV8Qfcz3rxzlXt0NuN6Xv971IHcljagKNNQ/viewform>*

Again, we would like for you to take a few moments and to complete the form
on the link below for each proficiency application that you *intend* to
submit to the South Region office for the current school year. This worked
extremely well last two years and helped our region have the most
proficiency applications advance to the state level judging and fill
categories that were lacking an entry. Our goal is to have ALL areas filled
with one of OUR South Region FFA Members!

Please complete each box in the google document no later than January 31st
and submit the actual application to our office by* Thursday, February 1st,
2018.*  All proficiency applications are due in the South Region Office by
February 1st. *No late applications will be accepted.*  *This is a due by
date, not a postmark deadline.*

We will use this google document to check off your standard for turning in
a proficiency application against the actual applications turned in to the
office on February 1st.

If you send your application in electronically. It must be *one* email and
in a pdf format. If you have multiple proficiency applications you will
have multiple emails. *EACH APPLICATION NEEDS ITS OWN EMAIL.*

You must complete one of these forms for each application / student you
intend to submit via the link below through the google doc forms.  Please
contact the South Region Office if you have questions or concerns.

You must click SUBMIT at the bottom of the form for your entry to be
recorded.

*Proficiency Sign Up HERE
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScEyAbMDBfA8Kn5dmft0JR19aL2A6Cr6-2bEF9OM0fMBalXtA/viewform>*

*Thank you for your submissions and please call on us anytime for help! *

Below are some helpful tips in getting those applications looking like
STATE WINNERS! Use these tips to help you -- THEY WORK!!!!

1. *USE THE RUBRIC* - When the student starts his/her work hand them a hard
copy of the rubric (which is attached and can be found of the National FFA
website) The judges receive this same piece of paper to score the
applications. Try to make sure that every aspect that is being judged is in
the highest points. Please note that there are 3 rubrics -
placement/ownership, combine and research; choose the one that best fits
the type of project that the student has been working with.

2. *FILL THE BLANK SPACE* - If the space is provided USE IT! My AG teacher
made me go back, and back AND BACK until I had the whole space full. Do you
know what that does? Provides more detail. Which gives you more points. It
also allows the judges to fill like the project is real. I always made my
students fill the spaces. It's like pulling teeth sometimes but will be
worth it in the end when they receive that $500 check to go to Nationals,
prize money on top of that from Nationals just for winning state and the GA
FFA Foundation check to your students for their hard work.

3. *DETAILS* - Tractor name, make and model, fertilizer brand, exact
measurements, numbers, number NUMBERS; these are all aspects that students
do not think about. That's where you come in to play. Read other the
application and circle places that need more detail and hand it back to the
students. The space maybe filled but not with details. Details win!

4. *PICTURES* - With the new system horizontal pictures are best. Action
shots! The student actually working is great! Avoid: hats, sunglasses, long
hair in the face and dark pictures. These pictures bring the project to
life. They are not worth a ton on the new rubric but shore do tell the
story. Start in the summer taking pictures. This gives you a wide verity of
seasons, colors, weather and* clothing*.

5. *CAPTIONS* - Do not start the captions with: *In the picture* or *I
am. *Just
avoid I all together. Try to use the space and talk about the skills being
shown in the picture. Or maybe even why what the student is doing is
important. Also fill the space!

6. *EXTRA PAGE *- This page needs to be something that adds to the
application. Extra page of data collected. Reports from an experiment.
Copies of soil samples that were referred to in the application. A flier
used to drum up business for their piglets etc. In the past I have also
taken all the articles that highlighted how great the student was made them
smaller and put them all together in a collage type page.

7. *THE LOOK *- Be sure that you take the extra time to print the
applications in color and have them in a folder. Not a 3 ring binder but a
three pronged folder. If you don't have a National FFA Application binder
that is alright. Stop by Walmart on your way to the office and pick up one
they have some that are very similar.

*NOW let's get OUR 20 - this is a TEAM EFFORT! We will need ALL chapter
preforming at their HIGHEST LEVEL to achieve at least 20 - back 2 back!! *
*WE ARE SOUTH REGION - **WE ARE AGRICULTURE *

Thank you all for helping to make the South Region the very best and
highlighting our amazing students!

--
*Trisha Rae Lastly *
*South Region Agriculture Education *