It' really hard to respond to this news.  My wife, Kate and I visited
Denis in Guelph when I was just starting out after grad school.
(We wondered about the possibility of my teaching at a school
like his).  Denis was a sweet and doting host.  Over the years,
I had so many good interactions through the journal, and at
meetings I was always genuinely excited to run into him again. Denis
brought such clarity and breadth to the truly daunting task of
making sense of protozoan taxonomy, at a time when we really
needed clear leadership in that business.

What a blow.

Eric

--
Eric S. Cole