Dear colleagues of the ciliate community,

we would like to invite you to contribute to the Special Issue entitled “Ciliate Genetics and Epigenetics” launched by the journal Genes (ISSN 2073-4425).

Ciliates have been well-established as model organisms to investigate genetics and epigenetics. These single cell eukaryotes have two types of nuclei: germline micro- and somatic macronuclei. Some of the first epigenetic phenomena were described in these organisms, and research over the last few decades has elucidated mechanisms that underlie these phenomena. Ciliates helped pioneer the current understanding of RNA interference, both for siRNA-mediated silencing and for small RNA-directed chromatin modification and DNA rearrangements, which provide cells a powerful tool to transmit epigenetic information to sexual progeny. Progress in our understanding of molecular mechanisms came from classical genetics studies and from genomics, post-genomics and the recent advances in epigenomics technologies.

 This Special Issue provides an overview on the genetics and epigenetics in ciliates and their impacts on adaptation and evolution. We invite submissions for reviews, research articles, or short-communications reporting molecular genetics and epigenomics studies of ciliate biology.

Genes (http://www.mdpi.com/journal/genes) is an online, peer-reviewed, open access journal with a current Impact Factor of 3.600. Genes aims to publish high quality original research articles and reviews on all aspects of genes, genetics, and genomics. As an online open access journal, papers published in Genes receive rapid publication, immediate accessibility, and high publicity. To support open access, Article Processing Charges (APC) of 1600 CHF currently apply to all accepted papers. If you respond to this invitation, you are entitled to a 15% discount. You may be entitled to additional discounts if you have previously received a discount code or if your institute is participating in the MDPI Institutional Open Access Program (IOAP), for more information see: http://www.mdpi.com/about/ioap.

For more information, please see: http://www.mdpi.com/journal/genes/special_issues/ciliate_genetics

We accept manuscripts from 1 September 2018 to 31 March 2019. Submitted papers should not be under consideration for publication elsewhere. We also encourage authors to send a short abstract or tentative title to the Editorial Office in advance (
[log in to unmask]) especially for review articles to avoid conflicts and to coordinate subjects.

We look forward to hearing from you and CU you soon at CMB 2018 in Washington D.C.

Martin Simon, Marcel Schulz, Douglas Chalker