I wish to join the ciliatologist community in this very sad moment of Denis Lynn loss. I had the pleasure to spend smiling days together with Denis and Portia here in Italy, visiting the surroundings of Camerino, Versilia and Le 5 Terre. I enjoyed and deeply appreciated His talking of science, His philosophy of life, His extremely friendly behavior. Certainly, as Ed writes, "If there is any consolation, he was still in the act of doing what he had loved to do all his life". Nonetheless, it is really hard to accept that a cause to which a Life was enthusiastically dedicated is the cause of the Life loss.

Piero Luporini

It is so very painful to accept the news that Denis Lynn has been taken away from us so suddenly, while still at the height of his scientific contributions.

Denis was a model scientist – distinguished for his active, rigorous, creative, thoughtful research, productive as teacher, mentor and investigator, while devoting many years of distinguished service to the profession as Editor of the Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology.

Denis and Portia were wonderful hosts to Judy and me during a short, productive scientific visit to Guelph many years ago.

If there is any consolation, he was still in the act of doing what he had loved to do all his life when a freak wave took him.

Eduardo Orias