 Dear Ciliate Community,

I am struggling with contamination in my *Tetrahymena* cultures for a
while. Routinely used antibiotics (pen-strep, amphotericin) don't work. I
used normocin from Invitrogen in conbination with pen-strep or kanamycin to
get rid of them but no success again. Contaminated wells appear whitish and
cloudy (Please see attachment). I noticed that this contamination generally
occurs after biolistic bombardment. Sterile cabinet was tested for the
possible contamination source but it seems OK. I extensively sterilize the
inner chamber of the biolistic gun (which is in our sterile cabinet) and
other components with alcohol prior to shot but they show up during
passaging when I increase the pm concentration for example.

Many thanks in advance for your any kind of suggestions.

Best regards.

--

*Erhan AslanAnadolu University Graduate School of SciencesDepartment of
Molecular BiologyEskisehir-TurkeySave the environment.Please don't print