What a sad news. Drowning while collecting his small little friends, the ciliates, which made him such an outstanding scientist, is an unbelievable irony of fate, which makes me almost speechless. On June 19, June we communicated via email on another joint project. Denis told me of his soon trip to Haikai Institute on Calwert Island and informed me, that he would send me a missing drawing immediately after his return. Now, all is gone – I lost a dear friend and an excellent colleague - I’m so sad.

Christian Bardele