Ag Teachers,

The new school year is upon us. Welcome back and best wishes for a successful 2018-2019 year. I'm writing to provide an up on our American FFA Degree applications. Many of you have been asking when your student would receive more information.

Our state Association submitted 132 American Degree applications earlier this summer. A couple of weeks ago I received word that we had a handful of applications that needed some follow-up work in order to qualify. I have reached out to those teachers, made the adjustments and resubmitted the applications. This morning I received word that all 132 of Georgia's American Degree applications have been cleared.

The official announcement of American Degree recipients will come later in August, after the National FFA Board of Directors meets. The Board must formally approve the list of American Degree recipients each year as part of standard operating procedure. Once the Board votes to approve the 2018 American Degree recipients, then we will receive official notification from National FFA and your students will receive an email congratulating them and giving them instructions on how to register for the convention.

I realize that many of you are beginning to make travel plans for the National Convention and are wondering about your American Degree students. I can tell you that while we are still a couple of weeks away from the official announcement, I feel confident telling you that all of Georgia's applicants this year have cleared and will be approved. Please use that information as you make travel plans or advise your students who are set to receive the American Degree.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. Thank you to those of you who pushed your students and their SAE to the brink of this prestigious honor. I appreciate you very much.

Ben Lastly
Executive Secretary
Georgia FFA Association
316 Poultry Science - UGA