Ag Teachers,

The 91st National FFA Convention held last week in Indianapolis is one that will likely go down in the history books. As I am sure that you have heard by now, the convention not only had a record attendance, it also featured a concert performance by Garth Brooks and keynote address from the President of the United States, Donald J. Trump. It was quite a week in Indianapolis, and I was excited to see so many Georgia members and advisors on hand.

In addition the big-name guests, the Georgia FFA members certainly made a name for themselves at the convention. In the attached Press Release and Results Tally Sheet, you can see the specific details of Georgia’s success in Indianapolis. Some highlights include 19 national winners, 23 3-Star chapters, 134 American Degree recipients, an American Star finalist and 7 Honorary American Degree recipients.

19 National Winners

-Agricultural Technology & Mechanics CDE (Bleckley County)
-9 National Proficiency Winners (most in the nation)
-6 National Agriscience Fair winners
-Nation’s Most Outstanding Middle School chapter (West Jackson Middle)
-Hall of States Winner (Paulding County)
-Talent Contest Winner (Emma Long – Pickens County)

While we only won 1 national CDE, I was extremely proud of our CDE/LDE participation. Georgia had 9 top-5 finishes in CDEs/LDEs and 3 more top-10 finishes! That is incredible, and it’s evidence of what our students and teachers are capable of. I am so very proud of each student and advisor who represented our state last week. Thank you for the many months, weeks, days and hours of diligent work that you put in. Your effort was noticed and it did pay off. You made us all very proud!

Landon Herring of the Lowndes County FFA was a finalist for the American Star in Agricultural Placement. Landon did a wonderful job representing Georgia. It is a monumental accomplishment to have an SAE that not only earns the American Degree, but also earns the right to be an American Star Finalist. Great job Landon!

Our National Officer Candidate was Morgan Hart of Colquitt County. Morgan advanced to the final round of interviews, but was not elected. He also worked diligently and was a very formidable candidate.

Ian Bennett retired as a National Officer and had a great National Convention. I was proud of the work that Ian did throughout the week. He certainly made Georgia proud.

Please feel free to share the information on these attached pages within your community. We have updated a lot of photos from the National Convention in the photo gallery on the Georgia AgEd website, and we are continuing to update the results section of the National Convention page.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you again to all who attended the National Convention and represented Georgia. Job well done!

Ben Lastly
Executive Secretary
Georgia FFA Association
316 Poultry Science – UGA