Ag Teachers,

Most of you are winding down for Christmas, and I hope that you have a blessed holiday with time to spend with family. As you close up shop, please be reminded of these items as you prepare students for proficiency award applications, State & American Degree applications this spring.  If you have students who plan to complete proficiency award applications, State degree or American degree applications this spring, please read this information carefully.

FFA Membership
A student must be an active FFA member on the roster this year in order to have access to the necessary application(s). If you have not yet submitted a student for membership who plans to submit an application, please do that immediately. Once you submit a student for state membership, there are several steps involved on our end before the student becomes a fully processed member on the national level. First, and foremost, we do not send a student forward for national membership until we receive payment for dues. The student will not have access to their application until their membership is finalized with national FFA. Please do not wait until the week the application is due to start the membership process. There will not be enough time.

MyFFA account
A student must have an active (FFA member) MyFFA account in order to create and access their application. Teachers no longer have access to start an application and assign it to a student. The student must login to the Application Center in their MyFFA account and start their own application. Once a student begins an application, each advisor assigned to that chapter can see the application in their Application Center through their advisor MyFFA account.

If your student does not have a MyFFA account, you can see their invite code on your Student Enrollment page on your Georgia AgEd site. Encourage your student to login to www.ffa.org and access the student link. When they reach the login page for MyFFA accounts, have them hit the “Start New” button on the right side of the page and walk through the prompts to set-up their own MyFFA account. The student will need their FFA membership ID and invite code available on your student enrollment page in order to establish the account.

My student had membership at another chapter previously
On the membership check page of the application, there is a place at the bottom of the page to lookup previous membership that might be under a different membership ID or chapter number. If you contact me, I can provide the previous chapter ID and membership number for you so that those years of FFA membership and SAE records can be included on the application.

Read Proficiency Descriptions Closely
If you are helping students identify which proficiency award category is correct for them, please be sure to read the proficiency award category descriptions carefully. They are attached to this email. If you have any questions, please call and ask. I realize that many SAEs relate to multiple proficiency categories, but when a student is entered into a wrong category, we have to disqualify them. Please be mindful of the categories you choose. Trying to stretch an SAE to make it fit in one place may be detrimental to the student.

Due Dates
February 1 - Proficiency Awards – due to Region Office
March 1 – State FFA Degree & Star Applications – due to Region Office
May 15 – American Degree Applications – due to Region Office

Have a very Merry Christmas, and please call if you have any questions.

Ben Lastly
Executive Secretary
Georgia FFA Association
316 Poultry Science – UGA