Happy Monday! It is now 5 days until your proficiency applications are due in the North Region Office. REGISTRATION FOR THESE APPLICATIONS CLOSES TOMORROW!!! Below is an update of proficiency areas that currently do not have an entry registered on the events registration. I have also attached a list of proficiency applications registered to date. Please review this list and register any proficiency applications that your students my be planning to submit OR unregister if one of your applications has fallen through. Registration for these applications occurs on the events registration page of the Ag. Ed. website. I encourage each of you to print out the rubrics posted on the North Region Page and score your applications on your own to make sure that you have not missed anything in each section. Check out the tips below to help better your applications as well.

 Please complete the registration by January 29, 2019.  Actual applications are due in the North Region Office by February 1st.  No late applications will be accepted.  This is a due by, not a post mark deadline.

Don't forget that we have a dropbox outside of the building for you to turn in applications after hours. We will use this registration document  to check off your standard for turning in a proficiency application.

If you send your application in electronically. It must be one email and in a pdf format. Be sure and check the electronic submission document attached on how to submit applications.

You must complete the registration for each application / student you intend to submit. Descriptions for each proficiency category are posted within the registration for each category.  Please contact the North Region Office if you have questions or concern.

Categories with No Applications Registered:
  • Ag. Mechanics Repair and Maintenance- Entrepreneurship
  • Fiber and Oil Crop Production – E/P
  • Food Science and Technology- E/P
  • Grain Production – Entrepreneurship
  • Grain Production – Placement
  • Specialty Crop Production- E/P
Below are some helpful tips:

1. USE THE RUBRIC - When the student starts his/her work hand them a hard copy of the rubric (which is attached and can be found of the National FFA website) The judges receive this same piece of paper to score the applications. Try to make sure that every aspect that is being judged is in the highest points. Please note that there are 3 rubrics - placement/ownership, combine and research; choose the one that best fits the type of project that the student has been working with.

2. FILL THE BLANK SPACE - If the space is provided USE IT! This provides more detail. Which gives you more points. It also allows the judges to feel like the project is real. It's like pulling teeth sometimes but will be worth it in the end when they receive that $500 check to go to Nationals, prize money on top of that from Nationals just for winning state and the GA FFA Foundation check to your students for their hard work.

3. DETAILS - Tractor name, make and model, fertilizer brand, exact measurements, numbers, number NUMBERS; these are all aspects that students do not think about. That's where you come in to play. Read over the application and circle places that need more detail and hand it back to the students. The space maybe filled but not with details. Details win!

4. PICTURES - With the new system horizontal pictures are best. Action shots! The student actually working is great! Avoid: hats, sunglasses, long hair in the face and dark pictures. These pictures bring the project to life. They are not worth a ton on the new rubric but sure do tell the story. Start in the summer taking pictures. This gives you a wide variety of activities, colors, weather and clothing

5. CAPTIONS - Do not start the captions with: In the picture or I am. Just avoid I all together. Try to use the space and talk about the skills being shown in the picture. Or maybe even why what the student is doing is important. Also fill the space!

6. EXTRA PAGE - This page needs to be something that adds to the application.For example: an Extra page of data collected. Reports from an experiment. Copies of soil samples that were referred to in the application. A flier used to drum up business for their piglets etc. In the past I have also taken all the articles that highlighted how great the student was made them smaller and put them all together in a collage type page.

7. THE LOOK - Be sure that you take the extra time to print the applications in color and have them in a folder. Not a 3 ring binder but a three pronged folder. If you don't have a National FFA Application binder that is alright. Stop by Walmart on your way to the office and pick up one they have some that are very similar.

--
Brandon Ray
North Region Forestry Teacher