North Region Teachers,

It is now *8 days* until your proficiency applications are due in the North
Region Office. Below is an update of proficiency areas that currently do
not have an entry registered on the events registration. I have also
attached a list of proficiency applications registered to date. Please
review this list and register any proficiency applications that your
students my be planning to submit OR unregister if one of your applications
has fallen through. I encourage each of you to print out the rubrics posted
on the North Region Page and score your applications on your own to make
sure that you have not missed anything in each section. Check out the tips
below to help better your applications as well.

 *Please complete the registration by January 29, 2019*.  Actual
applications are due in the North Region Office by February 1st.  No late
applications will be accepted.  This is a due by, not a post mark deadline.

Don't forget that we have a dropbox outside of the building for you to turn
in applications after hours. We will use this registration document  to
check off your standard for turning in a proficiency application.

If you send your application in electronically. It must be one email and in
a pdf format. Be sure and check the electronic submission document attached
on how to submit applications.

You must complete the registration for each application / student you
intend to submit. Descriptions for each proficiency category are posted
within the registration for each category.  Please contact the North Region
Office if you have questions or concern.

*Categories with No Applications Registered:*

   - Ag. Mechanics Repair and Maintenance- Entrepreneurship
   - Agriscience Research- Integrated Systems- E/P
   - Fiber and Oil Crop Production – E/P
   - Food Science and Technology- E/P
   - Grain Production – Entrepreneurship
   - Grain Production – Placement
   - Specialty Crop Production- E/P

Below are some helpful tips in getting those applications looking like
STATE WINNERS! Use these tips to help you -- THEY WORK!!!!

1. *USE THE RUBRIC* - When the student starts his/her work hand them a hard
copy of the rubric (which is attached and can be found of the National FFA
website) The judges receive this same piece of paper to score the
applications. Try to make sure that every aspect that is being judged is in
the highest points. Please note that there are 3 rubrics -
placement/ownership, combine and research; choose the one that best fits
the type of project that the student has been working with.

2. *FILL THE BLANK SPACE* - If the space is provided USE IT! My AG teacher
made me go back, and back AND BACK until I had the whole space full. Do you
know what that does? Provides more detail. Which gives you more points. It
also allows the judges to feel like the project is real. It's like pulling
teeth sometimes but will be worth it in the end when they receive that $500
check to go to Nationals, prize money on top of that from Nationals just
for winning state and the GA FFA Foundation check to your students for
their hard work.

3. *DETAILS* - Tractor name, make and model, fertilizer brand, exact
measurements, numbers, number NUMBERS; these are all aspects that students
do not think about. That's where you come in to play. Read over the
application and circle places that need more detail and hand it back to the
students. The space maybe filled but not with details. Details win!

4. *PICTURES* - With the new system horizontal pictures are best. Action
shots! The student actually working is great! Avoid: hats, sunglasses, long
hair in the face and dark pictures. These pictures bring the project to
life. They are not worth a ton on the new rubric but sure do tell the
story. Start in the summer taking pictures. This gives you a wide variety
of activities, colors, weather and* clothing*.

5. *CAPTIONS* - Do not start the captions with: *In the picture* or *I
am. *Just
avoid I all together. Try to use the space and talk about the skills being
shown in the picture. Or maybe even why what the student is doing is
important. Also fill the space!

6. *EXTRA PAGE *- This page needs to be something that adds to the
application.For example: an Extra page of data collected. Reports from an
experiment. Copies of soil samples that were referred to in the application.
A flier used to drum up business for their piglets etc. In the past I have
also taken all the articles that highlighted how great the student was made
them smaller and put them all together in a collage type page.

7. *THE LOOK *- Be sure that you take the extra time to print the
applications in color and have them in a folder. Not a 3 ring binder but a
three pronged folder. If you don't have a National FFA Application binder
that is alright. Stop by Walmart on your way to the office and pick up one
they have some that are very similar.

--
Brandon Ray
North Region Forestry Teacher