HAPPY MONDAY my hard working Agriculture Teachers of THE South Region!

This is your first official proficiency application UPDATE -- now just
because you maybe working with a student in a category that is not listed
below DOES NOT mean you give up and don't turn it in!! These are merely
predictions AND your students project maybe deeper or better filled out!

Categories needed to fill with OUR SOUTH REGION FFA MEMBERS:
Agricultural Communications-E/P
Agricultural Mechanics Design and Fabrication- E/P
Agricultural Mechanics Repair and Maintenance - Entrepreneurship
Agricultural Mechanics Repair and Maintenance – Placement
Agricultural Sales – Entrepreneurship
Dairy Production – Placement
Diversified Agricultural Production-E/P
Diversified Crop Production – Entrepreneurship
Diversified Horticulture-E/P
Environmental Science and Natural Resources-E/P
Equine Science - Entrepreneurship
Equine Science – Placement
Food Science and Technology-E/P
Forage Production-E/P
Forest Management and Products-E/P
Fruit Production-E/P
Goat Production-E/P
Grain Production – Entrepreneurship
Grain Production – Placement
Landscape Management-E/P
Nursery Operations-E/P
Small Animal Production and Care-E/P
Specialty Animal Production-E/P
Specialty Crop Production-E/P
Swine Production – Entrepreneurship
Swine Production – Placement
Veterinary Science-E/P

OUR SOUTH REGION GOAL is to be a consistent competitor with our student's
SAEs on the state level *(which means 20 state wins)*. Please review the
past tips/information at the bottom of this email to help you with your
students applications. Also the quality of applications has increased over
the past few years due to the judging process that the South Region has in
place. Using Agriculture Teachers to judge the applications helps with
instruction of students filling out applications in the future. Please take
the opportunity to learn more by judging. The link to sign up to serve to
judge is below. Judging will take place on  *February 6th*.

*Yes I will help judge!
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1bLb6VCjLy9QHYk-mNQNH7JdJaP6nK7P_-5MKSxfe0RU/edit>*

Again, we would like for you to take a few moments to complete the form on
the link below for each proficiency application that you *intend* to submit
to the South Region office for the current school year. This worked
extremely well the last three years and helped our region have the most
proficiency applications advance to the state level judging and fill
categories that were lacking an entry. Our goal is to have ALL areas filled
with one of OUR South Region FFA Members!

Please complete each box in the google document no later than January 31st
and submit the actual application to our office by* Friday, February 1st,
2019.*  All proficiency applications are due in the South Region Office by
February 1st. *No late applications will be accepted.*  *This is a due by
date, not a postmark deadline.*

We will use this google document to check off your standard for turning in
a proficiency application against the actual applications turned in to the
office on February 1st.

If you send your application in electronically. It must be *one* email per
proficiency application and in a pdf format. If you have multiple
proficiency applications you will have multiple emails. *EACH APPLICATION NEEDS
ITS OWN EMAIL.*

[log in to unmask] <[log%20in%20to%20unmask]>

You must complete one of these forms for each application / student you
intend to submit via the link below through the google doc forms.  Please
contact the South Region Office if you have questions or concerns.

You must click SUBMIT at the bottom of the form for your entry to be
recorded.

*Proficiency Sign Up HERE
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScEyAbMDBfA8Kn5dmft0JR19aL2A6Cr6-2bEF9OM0fMBalXtA/viewform>*

*Thank you for your submissions and please call on us anytime for help! *

Below are some helpful tips in getting those applications looking like
STATE WINNERS! Use these tips to help you -- THEY WORK!!!!

1. *USE THE RUBRIC* - When the student starts his/her work hand them a hard
copy of the rubric (which is attached and can be found of the National FFA
website) The judges receive this same piece of paper to score the
applications. Try to make sure that every aspect that is being judged is in
the highest points. Please note that there are 3 rubrics -
placement/ownership, combine and research; choose the one that best fits
the type of project that the student has been working with.

2. *FILL THE BLANK SPACE* - If the space is provided USE IT! My AG teacher
made me go back, and back AND BACK until I had the whole space full. Do you
know what that does? Provides more detail. Which gives you more points. It
also allows the judges to feel like the project is real. I always made my
students fill the spaces. It's like pulling teeth sometimes but will be
worth it in the end when they receive that $500 check to go to Nationals,
prize money on top of that from Nationals just for winning state and the GA
FFA Foundation check to your students for their hard work.

3. *DETAILS* - Tractor name, make and model, fertilizer brand, exact
measurements, numbers, number NUMBERS; these are all aspects that students
do not think about. That's where you come in to play. Read over the
application and circle places that need more detail and hand it back to the
students. The space maybe filled but not with details. Details win!

4. *PICTURES* - With the new system horizontal pictures are best. Action
shots! The student actually working is great! Avoid: hats, sunglasses, long
hair in the face and dark pictures. These pictures bring the project to
life. They are not worth a ton on the new rubric but sure do tell the
story. Start in the summer taking pictures. This gives you a wide variety
of activities, colors, weather and* clothing*.

5. *CAPTIONS* - Do not start the captions with: *In the picture* or *I
am. *Just
avoid I all together. Try to use the space and talk about the skills being
shown in the picture. Or maybe even why what the student is doing is
important. Also fill the space!

6. *EXTRA PAGE *- This page needs to be something that adds to the
application.For example: an Extra page of data collected. Reports from an
experiment. Copies of soil samples that were referred to in the application.
A flier used to drum up business for their piglets etc. In the past I have
also taken all the articles that highlighted how great the student was made
them smaller and put them all together in a collage type page.

7. *THE LOOK *- Be sure that you take the extra time to print the
applications in color and have them in a folder. Not a 3 ring binder but a
three pronged folder. If you don't have a National FFA Application binder
that is alright. Stop by Walmart on your way to the office and pick up one
they have some that are very similar.

*NOW let's get OUR 20 - this is a TEAM EFFORT! We will need ALL chapters
preforming at their HIGHEST LEVEL to achieve at least 20*
*WE ARE SOUTH REGION - **WE ARE AGRICULTURE  - now let's show it off! *

--
*Trisha Rae Lastly *
*South Region Agriculture Education *