Ag Teachers,

Like many of you, I am wrapping up this school year by making my initial plans for the 92nd National FFA Convention this fall. Based on membership, last year the Georgia FFA Association was allocated 26 official voting delegate spots, and I expect a similar number this year. Our final number of national delegates will be announced in early June.

Our Association will use the State FFA Officers to fill 8 of those delegate spots, but we are on the lookout for some bright, talented FFA members to fill the remaining spots. Attached is the application packet for the 2019 National Convention Delegate process. If you have a student or two who you believe would do a great job representing the Georgia FFA in official national delegate business, please encourage them to apply.

Who can apply?
Any FFA member who will begin the 2019-20 school in the 11th grade, 12th grade, or freshman year of college is eligible.

What does it mean to be a National Convention Delegate?
The students chosen to represent Georgia as Delegates to the National Convention will travel to and from Indianapolis with the state Association. The delegates will meet at the FFA/FCCLA Center in Covington on Sunday, October 27 and will fly to Indianapolis together on Monday, October 28. The Association delegates will return to Georgia on Sunday, November 3. They will miss an entire week of school to serve in this role. We will cover their transportation and lodging costs, and provide them with a meal stipend to offset meal costs. The students will each be assigned to a delegate committee. Those committees will meet on Tuesday and Wednesday of the convention week. Beginning Thursday of the convention week, the Delegates will have delegate business sessions, and will attend all general convention sessions.

What else to think about?
If a student that you have in mind to apply is also competing at the National Convention (agriscience fair, proficiency award, CDE/LDE); that is certainly a possibility, but we need to communicate before the student commits to attending as a delegate. My position will be that all delegates will travel and stay with the Association. If we are paying for their transportation and lodging, and giving them food money, I expect them to be with us and make their delegate work a top priority. However, I know it is a golden opportunity to compete on the national level. A student will be given the opportunity to miss delegate work while their national competition is going on, with the understanding that they return to the Association when they are finished each day. Each scenario is unique, so if you have questions before finalizing an application, let me know.

Due Date
Application packets are due to the State FFA Office by June 15, 2019.

Application is online
The application to serve as a National Convention delegate is available online as well. Go to the Georgia FFA website (www.georgiaffa.org<http://www.georgiaffa.org>); click the FFA link at the top; then select the Applications page. At the bottom of the Applications page is the National Convention Delegate application link.

Feel free to call or have your student call if there are any questions.

Ben Lastly
Executive Secretary
Georgia FFA Association
316 Poultry Science - UGA