Teachers,

If you have students competing in Horticulture ID contests Tuesday, October 8th at the Georgia National Fair please read this email carefully.
You MUST have already pre-registered through the fair website to compete in this event!  See the list of attached entries for both individual and teams.

There will be 25 plant samples for each of the divisions for your students to identify.  There will also be 10 tie-breakers.  The tie-breakers can consist of plant material, equipment, & disorders for juniors and seniors.  Students will have 25 minutes to complete both the ID and tie-breakers.

There are 4 Divisions open for Horticulture ID
Junior Floriculture ID
Junior Nursery Landscape ID
Senior Floriculture ID
Senior Nursery Landscape ID
Each school is allowed 10 students in the nursery landscape events and 10 students in the floriculture events.  There is a complete list of registered schools attached to this email, sorted by school name.

Assigned competition times:
Students may compete anytime between 9:30AM and 2:00PM
We will not be assigning competition times this year.  We will start a new rotation every 30 minutes starting at 9:30AM then another at 10:00, then 10:30 etc.  The first 6 teams in each division to show up will be allowed in the competition rooms.  We can not allow more than 6 due to space.  Please plan to arrive at least 10 mins BEFORE you want to start so your students can bubble in their scantrons. If you show up at 9:32 you will not start until 10:00.

Location:
We will be set up inside the Beef/Dairy Arena.  Click here for a Map of Fairgrounds if needed.

What to bring:
Your students will need a clipboard and #2 pencils - I will have some clipboards available but not enough for everyone

Substituting Students:
The fair does not allow students to be substituted the day of the contest.  If you allow a student to compete the day of the contest that was not registered in the fair's computer system please understand you forfeit all rights to any prize money that student may earn.

Entering the Fair
The fair workers at all gates will have a list of all students that are entered into the competition. Anyone that is entered as a competitor will gain free entry into the fair on Tuesday.

Contest Rules:
Contest rules can be found on the Georgia National Fair website - https://d38trduahtodj3.cloudfront.net/files.ashx?t=fg&rid=GeorgiaNationalFair&f=2018_FFA(1).pdf - pages 28 and 29.

Results:
Results will be given that day.  Approximate time is 3:00pm. The top two teams in each event and the top 10 students in each event will be recognized.  Results will also be emailed out the following day.

If you have any questions, please call or e-mail me.

Thank you for all you do! See you at the fair!

--
Melissa Riley
Central Region Ag Education