Dear Jody and Jacek:

I am devastated by this very sad news. Marty led the efforts to establish Tetrahymena as a model eukaryote for molecular studies, and trained a whole generation of researchers in this field including myself. He was my scientific father, and continued to be a supporter and guardian until I was able to stand on my own. We share so much together - I will cherish those memories in my remaining years. His passing marks the end of an era, and brought deep sadness to this scientific family.

Meng-Chao

On Oct 24, 2019, at 10:53 AM, Jacek Gaertig <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Dear Ciliate Researchers:

I am forwarding very sad news from Jody Bowen about the passing away of Marty Gorovsky. His studies led to many fundamental contributions in cell and molecular biology based on ciliate models, including groundbreaking discoveries on chromatin and genome organization. I had an honor and privilege to be among his many trainees. Marty was a wonderful mentor. It is a huge loss to our community.

Jacek Gaertig

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Jody LaRose" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: sad news
Date: October 23, 2019 at 8:38:16 PM EDT
To: "Jacek Gaertig" <[log in to unmask]>

It is with great sadness that I write to tell the Ciliate community that
Marty Gorovsky died of a heart attack yesterday.  His wife Joyce said they
will not be having a service but the family is gathering together. Marty had
been having some health issues for a while. Joyce asked that I let his
friends know since she did not have contact information.   Her address is
6102 Westover Way, Somerset, NJ 08873.   For more than 45 years Marty was my
teacher, boss, friend and support system--a great researcher and so much
more. It is hard to believe that he is gone.
Jody Bowen