As a grad student, and later as a postdoc,
the front row seats of every Ciliate meeting were occupied by
the village elders!  Their ferocious attention to detail, combined
with their humor, generosity and gentleness, defined a "family" that
welcomed
all its newcomers.  Marty was at the heart of this family, and
he left his mark on all of us.   Grateful and sad, and happy to have known
Marty even a little.
Condolences (hugs) to all of you who were even closer to the heart of
our family, and must feel this passing even more acutely.
Eric

--
Eric S. Cole
Chair of Biology Department