Teachers,

I wanted to reach out to everyone with some guidance, explanations and reassurance regarding the POW review process that we have all undertaken. First of all, these are unique times. Rest assured that I understand the apprehension and fear of the unknown as we move forward. My sole intent is to be transparent about the process and ease any anxiety that this pandemic has caused in relation to your program review.

Your school is now shut down at least until April 27th. We have cancelled all remaining FFA activities including State FFA Convention. We totally understand that this is going to result in a number of standards being impossible to meet. This is not a reflection of your performance. This is a reality. We fully expect every POW in the state to reflect that the following standards were not met:
It is a good possibility that depending on what your chapter plans were for the remainder of the year that you might also miss the
  • CDE standard
  • LDE standard
  • Leadership activity standard
  • Maybe even the Advisory Committee standard.
The point is that we need your POW to reflect the true picture of what you were able to accomplish before the virus shut all of us down. We have asked that any standard that was not met due to school closures and cancelled activities be put on an addendum and signed and added to your POW. This allows us to excuse the fact that this standard was not met while still presenting an accurate picture of what occurred. I understand that no one who takes pride in the job they do wants to mark a "No" for something that was not their fault. However, I would hope that you would be equally offended by alleging you attended an activity that never even happened. Please know that we are all in this together. I appreciate your commitment to excellence, but in this case a "Yes" to an event that did not occur will raise more eyebrows than a "No". If the event happens to be conducted at a later date during this POW year then you will have the opportunity to go back and change your answer.

Look at it like this: A few "No's" let's us know that you were in for a busy Spring.

Thank you for all you do. I hope you and your families are all safe and healthy. Please contact me if you still have questions or concerns. There is nothing up my sleeve...this is not a trick...simply an attempt to be honest, transparent, and truthful about how this virus has affected our ability to conduct our programs.

Be safe, well, and 6 feet apart,
Stan

--
Stan Mitchell