SHOREBIRDS Archives

Shorebird Discussion Group

SHOREBIRDS@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

Created 07/19/2005 List_Affiliation Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources
Show Table of Contents

Gyorgy Szimuly
Mon, 25 Jan 2021 23:41:00 +0000
Hola,

You might or might not have heard about the new community, the Charadrius Society which is going to be an international organisation working for the protection of shorebirds on a global level. It might run under a new name but with the original objectives. Please take a look what we have done within this shore period of existence, and if you like it, join us. No membership fee yet!

[More ...]
No Replies
<>
Tue, 17 Mar 2020 17:09:18 +0000

| |
| | | |

| |
| | Hi there,Linda Baker  ([log in to unmask]) invited you to open the File "Folder" on Dropbox.Go to folder
Enjoy!
The Dropbox team | |
| |

| | |

| |

| © 2020 Dropbox |

No Replies
Christian Friis
Thu, 9 Jan 2020 12:52:34 -0500
Happy New Year!
I finally posted the 2019 aerial survey summary on our website: https://www.jamesbayshorebirdproject.com/aerial2019. Sincere thanks to Guy Morrison and Ken Ross for surveying and Mike Ellis for piloting! Further thanks to Yves Aubry, CWS Quebec for funding the Quebec portion of the work.
Counts were significantly lower than in the previous three years and suggest a poor breeding season for Semipalmated Sandpiper and potentially other shorebird species. Apologies for the delay in posting this summary.
Good birding,
Christian
Canadian Wildlife Service
No Replies
Christian Friis
Tue, 1 Oct 2019 15:16:56 -0400
Good day!

The James Bay shorebird project came to a close on 11 September. We had two field camps operational: Longridge Point and Little Piskwamish Point. We've updated our website with the latest summary<https://www.jamesbayshorebirdproject.com/seasonsummaries> from our field crew for the period 28 August to 10 September 2019. Migrant shorebird numbers decreased over the period, while the proportion of juveniles increased. Waterfowl numbers continued to increase.

[More ...]
No Replies
Christian Friis
Tue, 3 Sep 2019 09:46:02 -0400
Good day!

The James Bay shorebird project has been underway since 12 July. This season, we have two field camps operational: Longridge Point and Little Piskwamish Point. We’ve updated our website with the latest summary from our field crew for the period 14-27 August 2019. Highlights include southbound pushes of adult shorebirds and influxes of juvenile shorebirds. A Prothonotary Warbler (2nd record for the region, furthest north record, if accepted) at Longridge is a standout passerine record, and finch numbers continue to impress.

[More ...]
No Replies
Christian Friis
Wed, 21 Aug 2019 15:46:25 -0400
Good day!

The James Bay shorebird project has been underway since 12 July. This season, we have two field camps operational: Longridge Point and Little Piskwamish Point. We've updated our website with the latest summary from our field crew for the period 30 July to 13 August 2019. Highlights include large influxes of migrant shorebirds, including first juveniles for many species. We also conducted an aerial survey of the coast 11-15 August from of the coast from Ekwan Point in the north east into Quebec's southern James Bay region. Aerial work has not been completed on the Quebec side since

[More ...]
No Replies
Christian Friis
Wed, 7 Aug 2019 16:37:39 -0400
Good day!

The James Bay shorebird project has been underway since 12 July. This season, we have two field camps operational: Longridge Point and Little Piskwamish Point. Early reports suggested that shorebird counts are lower than the previous two seasons during this period. However, numbers have picked up in the current period (30 July to 13 August). For example, 4,000 Red Knot were just recorded at Piskwamish on 6 August.

[More ...]
No Replies
Bob Rufe
Tue, 22 Jan 2019 03:15:15 -0400
Excellent quality http://rush.thomastinkle.com <http://rush.thomastinkle.com/>

Bob Rufe
No Replies
Christian Friis
Wed, 31 Oct 2018 15:44:01 -0400
Dear shorebird enthusiasts,

We've posted the summary for this past season’s aerial survey of the James Bay coast from the Quebec border north to Ekwan Point.

Over 240,000 individual shorebirds were recorded during the survey, doubling the totals from 2016 (about 110,000) and 2017 (about 105,600). Reasons for the significantly higher number of birds in 2018 are currently unclear but are likely connected to the widely reported very poor breeding conditions in the Arctic in 2018.

[More ...]
No Replies
Christian Friis
Wed, 3 Oct 2018 16:29:00 -0400
Dear shorebird enthusiasts,

We've posted summaries for each of our three remote field camps for 28 August to 10 September. This is our final field camp report for the 2018 season. We will post the aerial survey summary in the coming weeks.

Highlights from this period include primarily juvenile Red Knot counts, influxes of Dunlin and much more. Check out the summaries for more details.
https://www.jamesbayshorebirdproject.com/seasonsummaries/

[More ...]
No Replies
Christian Friis
Fri, 7 Sep 2018 11:12:18 -0400
Dear shorebird enthusiasts,

We've posted summaries for each of our three remote field camps for 13-27 August. Our final report will be posted later this month after our field personnel return late next week.

Highlights from the this period include a project record high count for White-rumped Sandpipers and an average of 1/3 of Red Knot counts are juvenile. Check out the summaries for more details.
https://www.jamesbayshorebirdproject.com/seasonsummaries/

[More ...]
No Replies
Christian Friis
Mon, 27 Aug 2018 11:26:07 -0400
Dear shorebird enthusiasts,

We've posted summaries for each of our three remote field camps for 31 July to 12 August. As additional reports are received we will be posting to our website.

Highlights from the this period include influxes of adult White-rumped Sandpipers during the period and first juvenile Red Knot. Check out the summaries for more details.
https://www.jamesbayshorebirdproject.com/seasonsummaries/
Stay tuned!
Christian Friis
Canadian Wildlife Service
Toronto, Canada
No Replies
Christian Friis
Thu, 9 Aug 2018 06:13:43 -0400
Dear shorebird enthusiasts,

We've posted summaries for each of our three remote field camps for 13-30 July. As additional reports are received we will be posting to our website.

Highlights from the this period include Ruff, confirmed breeding Marbled Godwit, influxes of adults Semipalmated Sandpipers during the period, first juveniles of many of our migrants, and many Lesser Yellowlegs affixed with GPS transmitters. On the passerine side, Black-billed Cuckoo at all camps is a surprise. Check out the summaries for more details.
https://www.jamesbayshorebirdproject.com/seasonsummaries/
Stay tuned!

[More ...]
No Replies
Christian Friis
Thu, 9 Aug 2018 06:03:35 -0400
Christian

> On Aug 7, 2018, at 11:17, Ron Pittaway <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> This is Jean Iron's first report for the period July 31 to August 7, 2018
> from Longridge Point (51.798942N, 080.69204W) on the southwest coast of
> James Bay in Ontario about 910 km (565 mi) north of Toronto. Two other crews
> are at Little Piskwamish and Northbluff Point. Locations shown on map in
> link #1 below. The vast tidal mudflats and coastal marshes make James Bay
> one of the most important shorebird stopover sites in North America. Surveys
> under the direction

[More ...]
No Replies
Ron Pittaway
Tue, 7 Aug 2018 11:17:09 -0400
This is Jean Iron's first report for the period July 31 to August 7, 2018
from Longridge Point (51.798942N, 080.69204W) on the southwest coast of
James Bay in Ontario about 910 km (565 mi) north of Toronto. Two other crews
are at Little Piskwamish and Northbluff Point. Locations shown on map in
link #1 below. The vast tidal mudflats and coastal marshes make James Bay
one of the most important shorebird stopover sites in North America. Surveys
under the direction of Christian Friis of the Canadian Wildlife Service with
partners Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, Bird Studies
Canada

[More ...]
No Replies
patrick leary
Thu, 16 Nov 2017 14:47:00 +0000
Anyone possess any insight on LAGU banding? Pink engraved bands.
Pat Leary
No Replies
Christian Friis
Fri, 20 Oct 2017 09:26:26 -0400
Greetings!

The James Bay shorebird project has completed its eighth season. We just posted a summary from all three camps for the period 29 August to 13 September 2017 to https://www.facebook.com/jamesbayshorebirdproject/. It was another great season filled with many highlights, excellent work, and safe return home for our team. Thank you to everyone involved both behind the scenes and out in the field!

[More ...]
No Replies
Christian Friis
Thu, 7 Sep 2017 20:27:14 -0400
Dear Birders,

The James Bay shorebird project is in its final of four sessions, and crews have been in the field since 15 July when we opened two remote camps, Longridge Point and Little Piskwamish Point. Northbluff Point field camp opened on the 30th. Below is a link to the summary from all three camps from 14 to 29 August 2017. A final summary from each camp will be posted later this month. Crews close camps on 13 September and begin the journey home.

[More ...]
No Replies
Ted Cheskey
Fri, 25 Aug 2017 16:15:46 +0000
Cree Nation Government, Eeyou Marine Region Wildlife Board, the Cree Trappers Association, Nature Canada and Faune Nord completed five days of shorebird surveys in Boatswain Bay on the south east side of James Bay. Twenty one species of shorebirds were observed with White-rumped Sandpiper and Semipalmated Sandpiper being the most abundant species. The daily max for rufa Red Knot was 310. A more detailed report will follow.

[More ...]
No Replies
Christian Friis
Wed, 23 Aug 2017 13:31:28 -0400
Dear Birders,

The James Bay shorebird project is in it’s third of four sessions, and crews have been in the field since 15 July when we opened two remote camps, Longridge Point and Little Piskwamish Point. Northbluff Point field camp opened on the 30th. We posted a summary of observations from all three field camps for the period 31 July to 14 August 2017 to our Facebook page. Future summaries from each camp will be posted as they are available.

[More ...]
No Replies
Christian Friis
Wed, 23 Aug 2017 13:29:29 -0400
Hi All,
Apologies for the delay in posting.

The James Bay shorebird project is in full swing and crews have been in the field since 15 July when we opened two remote camps, Longridge Point and Little Piskwamish Point. Northbluff Point field camp opened on the 30th. We posted a summary of observations from Longridge Point and Little Piskwamish Point for the period 15-30 July 2017 to our Facebook page. Future summaries from each camp will be posted as they are available.

[More ...]
No Replies
Ron Pittaway
Sat, 19 Aug 2017 10:52:17 -0400
This is my second and summary report for the period 6 to 14 August 2017 from
Longridge Point (51.798942N, 080.69204W) on the southwest coast of James Bay
in Ontario about 910 km (565 mi) north of Toronto. This report pertains only
to Longridge. The vast tidal mudflats make James Bay one of the most
important shorebird stopover sites in North America.

[More ...]
No Replies
Ron Pittaway
Sat, 5 Aug 2017 19:27:50 -0400
This is Jean Iron's first report for the period July 29 to August 5, 2017
from Longridge Point (51.798942N, 080.69204W) on the southwest coast of
James Bay in Ontario about 910 km (565 mi) north of Toronto. Two other
survey crews are at Little Piskwamish and Northbluff Point. See locations on
map in link #1 below. The vast tidal mudflats make James Bay one of the most
important shorebird stopover sites in North America. Surveys are under the
direction of Christian Friis of the Canadian Wildlife Service (Environment
and Climate Change Canada) with partners Ontario Ministry of Natural
Resources and

[More ...]
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Sat, 5 Aug 2017 11:52:18 +0100
Dear Friends,

The 4th World Shorebirds Day is around the corner and in a month hundreds of birdwatchers are going out for counting shorebirds. The Global Shorebird Counting is a popular program of World Shorebirds Day that will take part between 1-7 September 2017. Registration is already open and available at this link: https://goo.gl/9Q9ZSN

[More ...]
No Replies
rrufe1
Thu, 2 Mar 2017 03:43:09 -0900
http://profitpoint.my/pwjyxs.php?rrufe1

Sent from my iPad
No Replies
rrufe1
Fri, 24 Feb 2017 04:08:37 -1000
Hi!

Have you already seen it? http://famof.es/aswkus.php?rrufe1

rrufe1
No Replies
Linda Lee
Mon, 20 Feb 2017 08:59:47 -0500
I am sorry to tell you that I have been hacked & did not send you any email that asks you to open Dropbox. I, too, got such an email from another source & tried to open it---& I know better than that. I have had to change my password to be able to access my mailbox. Yikes!

[More ...]
No Replies
William Jones
Thu, 2 Feb 2017 13:50:36 -0800
You can view it by clicking here

Thu, 2 Feb 2017 13:50:36 -0800
No Replies
Tina Vecchio
Thu, 12 Jan 2017 18:25:14 -0500
Saw this on ABA.org and had to share because the writing is so funny and I feel like I've had neck pain since the 70s. Does anyone else have advice on tree climbing without tweaking yourself?

Tina
No Replies
Peter Doherty
Wed, 5 Oct 2016 17:30:16 +0000
Hello

Please view the financial quotation I uploaded for you,Look IN HERE<http://bit.ly/2dE9JL6> for the Quotation it is very prime. and let me know if you are able to view it accordingly.

Thanks

Peter Doherty
214-B 84th Street
Virginia Beach, VA 23451
757-470-0774??(cell)
757-321-0255 (local)
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Sun, 4 Sep 2016 23:58:27 +0100
Happy World Shorebirds Day!

6 September marks the celebration of shorebirds and those who cares about them all around the world. Since Friday (2 September) the Global Shorebird Counting Program has been running with full swing. Birdwatchers are in the field counting shorebirds and sharing their records with World Shorebirds Day. If you have been in the field anytime since Friday, consider joining the celebrating crowd and share your records with us through eBird.

[More ...]
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Thu, 1 Sep 2016 22:00:00 +0100
Dear Shorebirders,

Let me share you a last encouragement email for the 2016 Global Shorebird Counting Program.
https://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/2016/09/01/sign-up-for-a-big-win/

Have a Happy World Shorebirds Day.

Best, Szimi
https://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com

Sent from my iPad
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Fri, 26 Aug 2016 14:53:10 +0000
Dear Friends, The 3rd World Shorebirds Day with it's popular Global Shorebird Counting (GSC) is upon us. In just a week birdwatchers around the world go to their preferred location and count shorebirds. I ask all of you to support and appreciate this special day by joining the GSC. Simply register your location and go counting. For more details please visit our page: https://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/globalshorebirdcounting/ You can also win one of the small gifts we have through our partners. Please find more about it in this blog post: https://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/2016/08/18/raffle-prizes-for-global-shorebird-counting-participants/ I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon. Best, Szimi _______________ Gyorgy Szimuly

[More ...]
No Replies
<>
Thu, 18 Aug 2016 18:03:38 -0400
This is the third and final report. Please see link with 7 pages of photos and videos on my website.
http://jeaniron.ca/2016/JB16/p1.htm

I thank Christian Friis of the Canadian Wildlife Service for the opportunity to surrey shorebirds on James Bay. Ron Pittaway posted my first two reports and provided much valuable information on shorebirds.
Happy shorebirding,
Jean Iron
Toronto, Ontario
Show Replies 2 Replies
<>
Thu, 18 Aug 2016 17:54:02 -0400
This is the third and final report. Please see link with 7 pages of photos and videos on my website.http://jeaniron.ca/2016/JB16/p1.htmI thank Christian Friis of the Canadian Wildlife Service for the opportunity to surrey shorebirds on James Bay. Ron Pittaway posted my first two reports and provided much valuable information on shorebirds.Happy shorebirding,Jean IronToronto, Ontario
No Replies
<>
Mon, 15 Aug 2016 09:08:46 -0400
"The James Bay Coast is one of the seven ecological wonders of the world. It is a migration highway for shorebirds." Guy Morrison, Senior Shorebird Research Scientist, Canadian Wildlife Service. This is Jean Iron's second report for the period 7 - 13 August 2016 from Longridge Point (Lat 51.798681N, Lon 80.691619W) on the southwest coast of James Bay in Ontario. Longridge is about 910 km (565 mi) north of Toronto. It is one of four shorebird camps this summer. See locations on map in link #1 below. Surveys are under the direction of Christian Friis of the Canadian Wildlife Service

[More ...]
No Replies
Norman Deans van Swelm
Mon, 8 Aug 2016 01:53:22 +0200
while crossing the Greenland icecap! Staying some three weeks on Ellesmere just enough time to lay eggs and recover enough to return while leaving the male to care for the chicks! The Dutch Institute NIOZ had fitted a microtransmitter on her of 2 g. made in California.
Ellesmere and Knots from NW Greenland belong to the race islandica so named by Linnaeus. So do Knots breeding in East Greenland which reach the breeding area after preparing for the journey along the West coast of Britain.
Another staging area during spring is northern Norway. These birds have been well photographed by

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
<>
Sun, 7 Aug 2016 08:48:34 -0400
This is Jean Iron's first report for the period 30 July to 6 August 2016 from Longridge Point (Lat 51.798681 N, Lon 80.691619 W) on the southwest coast of James Bay in Ontario. Longridge is about 910 km (565 mi) north of Toronto. It is one of four shorebird camps this summer. See locations on map in link #1 below. Surveys are under the direction of Christian Friis of the Canadian Wildlife Service with partners the Royal Ontario Museum, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, Bird Studies Canada, Trent University, Nature Canada and Moose Cree First Nation. Shorebird population

[More ...]
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Thu, 14 Jul 2016 18:52:43 +0100
Dear Friends,

The 3rd World Shorebirds Day is at the corner and many of us has already saved the dates of the popular Global Shorebird Counting Program. 2-6 September 2016 is an extended weekend for counting shorebirds on multiple locations. Please save the date for you as well. We cannot encourage enough people from here, but surely we can ask for your assistance to invite more people from your local community.

[More ...]
No Replies
Kevin McLean
Thu, 7 Apr 2016 15:19:29 -0700
Hi Shorebirders!

I have recently launched a new site that collects and maps shorebird
photos, and would love it if you could share any photos you have, or,
share the site with people who would be interested:

https://www.shorebird.org/

We currently have user-submitted photos from 4 continents, and new photos
are being added daily.

In addition, we have a searchable database, which contains public domain
and creative commons images on over 200 shorebird species:

[More ...]
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Mon, 7 Mar 2016 20:50:49 +0000
Dear Shorebirders,

The 2016 poll to vote for the 'Shorebird of the Year' is now open. Take your 10 seconds to vote and please share it with your network.

https://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/2016/03/07/poll-opens-for-the-2016-shorebird-of-the-year/

Best wishes, Szimi

Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://thenewshorebirds.wordpress.com
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:45:13 +0000
Dear Friends,

It's my pleasure to unveil the front cover design and artwork of the first volume of the forthcoming shorebird handbook. Please read the related post about it:

https://thenewshorebirds.wordpress.com/2015/12/20/unveiling-the-cover-design-and-art-of-volume-1/

I also take the opportunity to wish all of you a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best wishes, Szimi

Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
https://thenewshorebirds.wordpress.com
No Replies
Ted Cheskey
Mon, 7 Dec 2015 11:46:53 +0000
Hay un chamaca quien manajaba una carrô

Sent from my Samsung device over Bell's LTE network.
No Replies
Ted Cheskey
Tue, 25 Aug 2015 23:19:39 +0000
1.5 km n of Venosta

Sent from my Samsung device over Bell's LTE network.
No Replies
Jean Iron
Wed, 19 Aug 2015 11:31:32 -0400
This is the third and summary report. Please see link with 6 pages of
shorebird photos and videos on my website.
http://www.jeaniron.ca/2015/JB15/p1.htm

I thank Christian Friis of the Canadian Wildlife Service for the opportunity
to surrey shorebirds on James Bay. Ron Pittaway posted my first two reports
and provided much valuable information on shorebirds.

Happy shorebirding,

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Fri, 14 Aug 2015 16:44:10 -0400
This is Jean Iron's second report for the period 5 - 14 August 2015 from
North Point on the southwest coast of James Bay 25 km north of Moosonee,
Ontario, Canada. See location on map in link #1 below. The seven crew
members are Ross Wood (crew leader), Theo Cull, Jacqueline Goldstein,
Danielle Hosick, Jean Iron, Lizzie Moore and Walter Wehtje. Two other survey
crews are at Little Piskwamish and Longridge Point. All three survey sites
are globally significant Important Bird Areas. See North Point IBA in ink
#2. Surveys are under the direction of Christian Friis of the Canadian

[More ...]
No Replies
<>
Sun, 9 Aug 2015 19:15:13 -0400
Please un-subscribe me from this list serv.
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Sun, 9 Aug 2015 23:46:40 +0100
Hello Everyone,

World Shorebirds Day is pleased to announce the 2015 ‘Shorebird of the Year’, the Red Knot. Please find relevant media release on our website:
https://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/2015/08/09/red-knot-is-the-2015-shorebird-of-the-year/ <https://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/2015/08/09/red-knot-is-the-2015-shorebird-of-the-year/>

I’d also like to encourage you to register your counting location for the Global Shorebird Counting to be held on 4–6 September 2015. More information:
https://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/2015/08/09/red-knot-is-the-2015-shorebird-of-the-year/ <https://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/2015/08/09/red-knot-is-the-2015-shorebird-of-the-year/>

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Wed, 5 Aug 2015 19:41:18 -0400
This is Jean Iron's first report for the period 31 July to 4 August 2015
from North Point (Lat 51.489737N, Lon -080.447598W) on the southwest coast
of James Bay in Ontario, Canada. I get her messages by DeLorme inReach
two-way satellite communicator with GPS. North Point is 25 km north of
Moosonee. See location on map in link #1 below. The vast tidal mudflats and
prairie-like coastal marshes make James Bay one of the most important
shorebird staging areas in North America. The seven crew members are Ross
Wood (crew leader), Theo Cull, Jacqueline Goldstein, Danielle Hosick, Jean
Iron, Lizzie

[More ...]
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Sat, 18 Apr 2015 02:22:53 +0100
Dear Shorebirders,

Comments on this post are much welcome.

https://thenewshorebirds.wordpress.com/2015/04/17/is-banded-stilt-actually-a-banded-avocet/

Best, Szimi

Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://thenewshorebirds.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Sun, 4 Jan 2015 03:10:03 +0000
HELP NEEDED for creating a global list of active shorebird project database | World Shorebirds Day — Please add yours with the help of a Google form. Find it in the relevant blog post.

http://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/2015/01/04/global-list-of-active-shorebird-project-database/

Thanks, Szimi

Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Thu, 4 Dec 2014 00:15:58 +0000
Dear All,

For a new project of the World Shorebirds Day, I need Everyone's help. Please have a look at this short blog post and help in completing this list. You can add anyone, but you can also add yourself.

http://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com/2014/12/03/who-is-for-shorebirds/

Thanks for your kind help!

Best wishes, Szimi

Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldshorebirdsday.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
No Replies
Russ Namitz
Sat, 29 Nov 2014 20:22:04 +0100
Sup Shorebirds

http://kangooo.net/yourself.php?guess=dr6qtgh0y87rby

Russ Namitz

Sent from my iPhone
No Replies
Roy Poucher
Sat, 22 Nov 2014 15:17:35 -0500
http://sweeterthanhoney.com.au/bndgx/6802742.htm?wa=7011973&dir=41229&00=&en-us&=74790335 How are you, my friend? Roy Poucher <=========> 23.11.2014 0:17:19 It was very like you to revenge yourself on dumb animals.
No Replies
Friis,Christian [Ontario]
Thu, 25 Sep 2014 17:31:14 -0400
Hi!

This report summarizes the observations from three camps staffed from 15 July to 26 August 2014 on the southwestern coast of James Bay. Surveys are conducted under the direction of Christian Friis of the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) and Mark Peck of the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and their partners the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR), Bird Studies Canada, Nature Canada and Moose Cree First Nation. Maximum daily counts and dates for each species are reported below for Longridge (51.798942 N, -80.69204 W), Little Piskwamish (51.683427 N, -80.565783 W) and North Point (51.7027 N, -80.567 W). Surveys were

[More ...]
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Tue, 19 Aug 2014 22:51:14 +0100
Dear All,

My last update about the very first World Shorebirds Day was posted months ago. Let me share a few details with you. I’d like to encourage you to support this initiative by taking a part of it.

The 6th of September is selected for celebrating shorebirds and raising public awareness for the need of conservation, research and fundraising.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Tue, 19 Aug 2014 14:31:07 -0400
This is the third report for the two day period 11 -12 August 2014 from
Little Piskwamish Point on the southwestern coast of James Bay in Ontario,
Canada. Be sure to see photos and videos in link below. Surveys are
conducted under the direction of Christian Friis of the Canadian Wildlife
Service (CWS) and Mark Peck of the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and their
partners: the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR), Bird Studies
Canada, Nature Canada and Moose Cree First Nation. The Little Piskwamish
crew comprised Mark Peck (crew leader), James Kennerley, Brendan Kelly, Jean
Iron, Eleanor Zurbrigg, Doug

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Mon, 11 Aug 2014 14:21:27 -0400
This is Jean Iron's second report for the period 4 - 10 August 2014 from
Little Piskwamish Point on the southwestern coast of James Bay in Ontario,
Canada. See map link #2 below. Surveys are conducted under the direction of
Christian Friis of the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) and Mark Peck of the
Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and their partners the Ontario Ministry of
Natural Resources (OMNR), Bird Studies Canada, Nature Canada and Moose Cree
First Nation. The Little Piskwamish crew comprises Mark Peck (crew leader),
James Kennerley from UK, Brendan Kelly from NL, Jean Iron, Eleanor Zurbrigg,
Doug McRae,

[More ...]
Show Replies 2 Replies
Jean Iron
Mon, 4 Aug 2014 11:38:08 -0400
This is Jean Iron's first report for the period 30 July to 3 August 2014
from Little Piskwamish Point on the southwestern coast of James Bay in
Ontario, Canada. See map location in link #1 below. James Bay reaches deep
into central Canada to latitude 51 N and is one of the most important and
pristine staging areas for shorebirds in North America. Surveys are
conducted under the direction of Christian Friis of the Canadian Wildlife
Service (CWS) and Mark Peck of the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and their
partners the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR), Bird Studies
Canada

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Steve Holzman
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 05:25:47 +0100
Tue, 25 Mar 2014 05:25:47

http://computersandtechnology.us/wp-content/plugins/jetpack/modules/minileven/theme/pub/minileven/inc/fonts/likeit.php?wkqpaynhea1724qnyhuhp

Steve Holzman
No Replies
Brunjes, John (FW)
Sat, 8 Feb 2014 03:13:32 +0000
I will be out of the office banding ducks off and on the next couple weeks.. I will try to check email as possible but may not have access to internet. I will return emails as soon as possible. If you need immediate assistance, please call our Information Line at 1-800-858-1549.

[More ...]
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Sat, 8 Feb 2014 03:12:24 +0000
Dear Friends,

Here is my proposal for setting a commemorative day for shorebirds, naming as ‘World Shorebirds Day’ starting 2014.
Please find the document under this iCloud link bellow. The document is editable!

https://www.icloud.com/iw/#pages/BAIwHEcCD4POVagQyF2BLGEf0q2iZjRjRtuE/World_Shorebirds_Day_Proposal.pages

I am sure this event could be beneficial for many organisations in mid and long term. Feel free to share this to the relevant people! Those who are interested in developing the World Shorebirds Day are kindly invited to join the dedicated mailing list for further discussion: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/worldshorebirdsday

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
norman deans van swelm
Wed, 27 Nov 2013 20:03:58 +0100
On the basis of biometrics Engelmoer & Roselaar (1998) recognize three subspecies of Purple Sandpiper i.e. nominate Calidris m.maritima, C.m.littoralis and C.m.belcheri. C.m.littoralis from Iceland being the largest and C.m.belcheri from the eastern shores of the Hudson Bay + James Bay being the smallest of the three. There is no mention of plumage diffrences between the subspecies.All birds from NE Canada to W.Siberia have been lumped into the nominate race incl.those of Svalbard which colour-ringing has proven to winter along the Dutch shore, an example of which can be seen here:

[More ...]
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Sat, 12 Oct 2013 01:17:11 +0100
Dear All,

Let me share the latest articles published in the WorldWaders News Blog (http://worldwaders.wordpress.com) highlighting an exciting digital publication project about shorebirds.

http://worldwaders.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/shorebirds-emagazine-is-coming/

Let me hear your thoughts. :)

Best, Szimi
_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
http://500px.com/SzimiStyle
No Replies
Friis,Christian [Ontario]
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:09:02 -0400
Hi All,

Posting on behalf of Mike Burrell:

This is the project's fifth report, for the period 31 July - 12 August 2013 from East Point on Hannah Bay, Ontario, on the south coast of James Bay. This camp is located in the heart of the East Point Important Bird Area (http://ibacanada.ca/site.jsp?siteID=ON147&lang=EN).

[More ...]
Show Replies 1 Reply
Friis,Christian [Ontario]
Tue, 10 Sep 2013 16:04:55 -0400
Hi All,

Posting on behalf of Ross Wood:

This is the project's sixth report, for the period 13 August - 27 August 2013 from East Point on Hannah Bay, Ontario, on the south coast of James Bay.

This camp is located in the heart of the East Point Important Bird Area (http://ibacanada.ca/site.jsp?siteID=ON147&lang=EN).

The Hannah Bay crew consists of Ross Wood (volunteer), Kevin Seymour (Royal Ontario Museum), Greg Stewart (volunteer), Shannon Page (MNR), Mark Isaac (volunteer, Moose Cree First Nations) and Thomas Cheena (volunteer, Moose Cree First Nations).

[More ...]
No Replies
Friis,Christian [Ontario]
Wed, 28 Aug 2013 18:41:46 -0400
This is the project's fourth report, for the period 31 July - 10 August 2013 from Little Piskwamish Point on the south coast of James Bay. The Little Piskwamish Point crew consists of Mark Peck (Royal Ontario Museum), Don Sutherland (Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources), Ron Ridout (Bird Studies Canada), Burke Korol (Canadian Wildlife Service), Mark Field (volunteer) and Jeffrey Costa (volunteer). A three day trip was also made to Longridge Point (60 km north of Moosonee). One other crew is at Hannah Bay. See map link below. Study sites are part of the Western James Bay Shorebird Survey. Camps

[More ...]
No Replies
Brunjes, John (FW)
Tue, 20 Aug 2013 11:39:38 +0000
I will be out of the office until Aug 26th. I may be able to check email so I will respond as possible. If you need immediate help with banding, contact Erin Harper. Otherwise, if you need immediate assistance please call our info center at 1-800-858-1549.

John Brunjes

Migratory Bird Program
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Tue, 20 Aug 2013 12:39:02 +0100
There are some promising news from the Caribbean. Hopefully the implementation will be as good as this achievement itself.
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/she-did-not-die-in-vain/

Thank you for all those who are supporting the WorldWaders News Blog by visiting and re-visiting. :)

Best, Szimi
_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
http://500px.com/SzimiStyle
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Mon, 12 Aug 2013 23:45:29 +0100
Dear All,

Please find the latest news about shorebirds (http://worldwaders.wordpress.com/). Some more interesting items as well as an innovative initiative to be published soon. Should you have any relevant material to share with us please don't hesitate to send me.

Best for the rest of the summer.

Szimi
_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
http://500px.com/SzimiStyle
No Replies
James B. Cole
Sun, 4 Aug 2013 21:14:30 +0000
I'll be out of the office Wednesday, 31 July, through Friday, 2 August, with limited email access. I'll reply to your message as soon as I can. Thanks for your patience. - James
No Replies
Jean Iron
Sun, 4 Aug 2013 17:08:54 -0400
This is the third report for the period 26 - 30 July 2013 from East Point on
Hannah Bay, Ontario, on the south coast of James Bay. The Hannah Bay crew
comprised Christian Friis, Shorebird Biologist with the Canadian Wildlife
Service (CWS) and volunteers Jean Iron and Antonio Coral. This report also
includes highlights from Longridge Point (fide Stuart Mackenzie) marked
below with *stars. The Western James Bay Shorebird Survey is a joint effort
of the Canadian Wildlife Service, Royal Ontario Museum, Ontario Ministry of
Natural Resources (OMNR) and Bird Studies Canada in cooperation with the
Moose Cree First Nation.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Fri, 26 Jul 2013 17:44:22 -0400
This is Jean Iron's second report by satellite phone for the period 21 - 25
July 2013 from East Point on Hannah Bay, Ontario, on the south coast of
James Bay. Hannah Bay is a new site to survey the shorebirds using
southwestern James Bay. The Hannah Bay crew comprises Christian Friis,
shorebird biologist with the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) and volunteers
Jean Iron and Antonio Coral. Two other crews are at Longridge Point and
Little Piskwamish Point. A separate summary for Longridge marked with a
*star is included below. See map link below for survey locations.

[More ...]
No Replies
Brunjes, John (FW)
Sun, 21 Jul 2013 22:35:56 +0000
I will be out of the office until July 29th at the Mississippi Flyway Tech section and Council meeting. I will be able to check email so I will respond as possible. If you need immediate help with banding, Contact Erin Harper. Otherwise, if you need immediate assistance please call our info center at 1-800-858-1549.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Sun, 21 Jul 2013 18:35:12 -0400
This is Jean Iron's first report by satellite phone for the period 15 - 20
July 2013 from East Point on Hannah Bay, Ontario, on the south coast of
James Bay. Hannah Bay is a new site to survey the shorebirds using
southwestern James Bay. The Hannah Bay crew comprises Christian Friis,
shorebird biologist with the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) and volunteers
Jean Iron and Antonio Coral. Two other crews are at Longridge Point and
Little Piskwamish Point. See map link below. Study sites are part of the
Western James Bay Shorebird Survey. These studies may lead to legal
protection

[More ...]
No Replies
Wolfgang Rohloff (WH)
Sat, 29 Jun 2013 00:02:39 +0000
I am currently on leave from 22 June to 14 July 2013.
No Replies
Brad Winn
Fri, 28 Jun 2013 23:59:51 +0000
I am out of the office and unable to respond to email until July 8. Sorry for any inconvenience. Thank you.
No Replies
Brunjes, John (FW)
Fri, 28 Jun 2013 23:59:47 +0000
I will be out of the office until July 3rd. If you need immediate assistance please call our info center at 1-800-858-1549.

John Brunjes

Migratory Bird Program
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Sat, 29 Jun 2013 00:58:40 +0100
Hi There,

Please find our latest news about one of the most touching shorebird public awareness project ever.
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com/2013/06/28/spoon-billed-sandpiper-animation-project/

I hope you like it. If you have time, please leave a comment in our blog.

Best, Szimi
_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
http://500px.com/SzimiStyle

_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
http://500px.com/SzimiStyle
No Replies
Brunjes, John (FW)
Fri, 7 Jun 2013 20:23:02 +0000
I will be out of the office from June 10 until June 17. If you need immediate assistance please call our info center at 1-800-858-1549.

John Brunjes

Migratory Bird Program
No Replies
Jean Iron
Fri, 7 Jun 2013 16:22:00 -0400
Please see article about ongoing studies on the coast of Hudson Bay in
Ontario just published in the June 2013 issue of OFO News.
http://www.jeaniron.ca/2013/ShorebirdsJune2013.pdf

Jean Iron
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Thu, 6 Jun 2013 01:52:59 +0100
Hi All,

Quite a bad news from Australia!
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com/2013/06/06/the-future-of-beach-nesting-birds-is-under-a-cloud/

Best wishes, Szimi
_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
http://500px.com/SzimiStyle
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Sat, 25 May 2013 10:35:01 +0100
Dear Members,

Thanks to the contributors of WorldWaders News Blog I have gotten nice and positive feedback on the blog. I would not have been able to run this blog on my own but thanks to the tremendous support we could post news about shorebird conservation, research and other topics. All this is set to raise awareness of the vulnerability of shorebird populations of the world.

[More ...]
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Wed, 15 May 2013 18:53:36 +0100
Dear List Members,

Please find the latest article on migrating Whimbrels.
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/whimbrels-completed-3rd-leg-of-unknown-loop-migration-route/

Should you have any news worth to share with the shorebird community please pass it to me or became the contributor of WorldWaders News Blog. I'd be happy to expand the users.

Best, Szimi
_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
http://500px.com/SzimiStyle
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Sat, 4 May 2013 00:18:00 +0100
Dear All,

I would like to share the WorldWaders blog post from today. Images of those birds are shocking!!!
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com/2013/05/03/bitter-taste-celebration/

I am looking forward to hear your reply in blog (as a comment) if possible.

Thank you, Szimi
_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
http://500px.com/SzimiStyle
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Tue, 26 Mar 2013 11:05:48 +0000
Dear Shorebird Enthusiasts,

Please learn more about the recent shocking news from Victoria, Australia.
WorldWaders News Blog reports: http://worldwaders.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/red-necked-avocets-illegally-shot-in-victoria/

In blog tell us what you think and what changes you would like to see implemented.

Best, Szimi
_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
http://500px.com/SzimiStyle
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Thu, 14 Mar 2013 19:54:11 +0000
Hi,

Today news from Kuwait made me very unhappy. Find a few words about the shooting
of Sociable Lapwings and other waders in the WorldWaders News Blog:
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/sociable-lapwings-shot-in-the-middle\
-east/

Please show your support by following or liking the blog. Simple clicks.

Best, Szimi
_
Gyorgy Szimuly
Milton Keynes, UK
http://worldwaders.wordpress.com
http://szimistylebirding.wordpress.com
http://500px.com/SzimiStyle
No Replies
Steve Holzman
Mon, 11 Mar 2013 06:44:55 -0700
Ignore the original message.   Steve Holzman North High Shoals, GA Oconee County, USA ________________________________ From: Jenifer Hilburn <[log in to unmask]> To: [log in to unmask] Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 8:40 AM Subject: [SHOREBIRDS] Sad Trip..................Dorothy Crowley I really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about our trip, because it was impromptu. we had to be in Philippines for Tour.. The program was successful, but our journey has turned sour. we misplaced our wallet and cell phone on our way back to the hotel we lodge in after we went for sight seeing. The wallet contained all the valuables we

[More ...]
No Replies
Jenifer Hilburn
Mon, 11 Mar 2013 05:40:59 -0700
really hope you get this fast. I could not inform anyone about our
trip, because it was impromptu. we had to be in Philippines for Tour..
The program was successful, but our journey has turned sour. we
misplaced our wallet and cell phone on our way back to the hotel we
lodge in after we went for sight seeing. The wallet contained all the
valuables we had. Now, our passport is in custody of the hotel
management pending when we make payment.

[More ...]
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Wed, 24 Oct 2012 03:43:36 +0100
Dear Friends,

I am happy to announce that the new blog and website of ’The New Shorebirds Handbook Project' is up and running. Comments are much appreciated.

http://thenewshorebirds.wordpress.com/

Best, Szimi
Milton Keynes
United Kingdom
No Replies
Jean Iron
Tue, 18 Sep 2012 08:37:26 -0400
We are posting this on behalf of Glenn Coady about the passing of Fred
Bodsworth, author of Last of the Curlews.

Jean Iron and Ron Pittaway

The following death notice appeared in Monday's Toronto Star:

BODSWORTH, Fred,
Celebrated Canadian Author, "Mr. Curlew" died September 15, 2012, one month
short of his 94th birthday. He was predeceased by his loving wife Margaret
Banner. Dear father of Barbara Welch (Ed), Nancy Hannah (Rick), and Neville
Bodsworth (Lois Mombourquette). Cherished grandfather of Wendy, Erin, Lisa,
Lori, Tyler, Tara, Margaret, Aidan and Cameron. Doting great grandfather of
Cristian and Holden. Fred was a self-taught

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Tue, 4 Sep 2012 20:08:45 -0400
This is my fourth and summary report with photos and videos for Longridge
Point on the southwestern coast of James Bay in Ontario. Surveys are a
cooperative project of the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS), Royal Ontario
Museum (ROM) and Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR). Commonest
shorebird since the last report on 24 August was the White-rumped Sandpiper
with 6402 adults on 27 August and the first juvenile White-rumped was on
28th. A total of 26 species of shorebirds was recorded in August. New birds
since the last report #3 are Red-throated Loon; Turkey Vulture, 1 on 28 Aug
found

[More ...]
No Replies
Friis,Christian [Ontario]
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:22:20 -0400
This report summarizes the sightings from a crew stationed in the Chickney Point area on the western coast of James Bay from 31 July to 16 August as a part of the Western James Bay Shorebird Survey. The Chickney Point camp is the most northerly of the project's three field camps in 2012 and is located just north of Chickney Channel (Albany River) roughly 45 km directly south of Akimiski Island, and about 150 km north-northwest of Moosonee. Extensive mudflats in the region, fuelled with nutrients from the Albany River, its tributaries and the innumerable smaller creeks, provide excellent conditions

[More ...]
No Replies
Friis,Christian [Ontario]
Mon, 27 Aug 2012 09:22:12 -0400
This report summarizes the sightings from a crew stationed in the Chickney Point area on the western coast of James Bay from July 15 to 31 as a part of the Western James Bay Shorebird Survey. The Chickney Point camp is the most northerly of the project's three field camps in 2012 and is located just north of Chickney Channel (Albany River) roughly 45 km directly south of Akimiski Island, and about 150 km north-northwest of Moosonee. Extensive mudflats in the region, fuelled with nutrients from the Albany River, its tributaries and the innumerable smaller creeks, provide excellent conditions for

[More ...]
No Replies
Patrick Leary
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 18:24:30 -0400
Subsequent to conducting an island-wide survey of Cumberland Island, GA
today, we stopped at the traditional south end roost site to scan the
birds resting there. Amongst the mass of mixed shorebirds was a leucistic
SEPL. About the same time last summer, we recorded a, less pale, leucistic
SEPL at another regional shorebird site.

[More ...]
No Replies
James B. Cole
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 14:20:55 +0000
I'll be on vacation from Friday, 24 August, through Friday, August 31, with no email access. I'll reply to your message following my return. Thanks for your patience. - James
No Replies
Jean Iron
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 10:13:47 -0400
Jean Iron's third report for the period 17 - 23 August 2012 from Longridge
Point on the southwestern coast of James Bay in Ontario. See map link below.
Surveys are a cooperative effort of the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS),
Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) and Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR).
The new crew comprises Mark Peck (lead), Barb Charlton, Nancy Coston (Moose
Cree First Nation), Mark Dodds (OMNR), Donnell Gasbarrini, Jean Iron,
Shannon Page, Minnie Sutherland (Moose Cree First Nation), Ross Trapper
(Moose Cree First Nation) and Ross Wood. Mark, Mark, Donnell and Shannon
spent their first 5 days at

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 17:01:07 -0400
Dear List Owner,

The American Birding Association (ABA) would like to subscribe to the
SHOREBIRDS listserv as a service to birders, but cannot contact you.

How would ABA subscribe to the SHOREBIRDS list?

Thank you,

Ron Pittaway
Minden ON
No Replies
Bennett Chris (DNREC)
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 14:13:06 +0000
I will be out of the office from August 15 to August 24. I will be back in the office on Monday August 27. If you need immediate assistance, please contact Rob Line at (302) 739-9220.
No Replies
Jean Iron
Thu, 16 Aug 2012 10:08:14 -0400
This is Jean Iron's second report for the period 6 to 15 August 2012 by
satellite phone from Longridge Point on the southwestern coast of James Bay
in Ontario. See location in map link below. The crew comprised Jean Iron
(lead), Barb Charlton, Deborah Cramer, Andrew Keaveney, Ian Sturdee and Josh
Vandermeulen. The surveys are a joint venture of the Royal Ontario Museum
(ROM), Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) and Ontario Ministry of Natural
Resources (OMNR).

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Tue, 7 Aug 2012 09:57:53 -0400
This is Jean Iron's first report by satellite phone for the period 30 July
to 5 August 2012 for Longridge Point and Little Piskwamish Point on the
southwestern coast of James Bay in Ontario. Also included are selected
observations from Chickney Channel. See map link below. Surveys are under
the direction of Christian Friis of the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) and
Mark Peck of the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM). These surveys are important
because many shorebird species are declining and some such as the rufa
subspecies of the Red Knot are endangered and the East Atlantic population
of the Whimbrel

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Mon, 23 Jul 2012 08:35:52 -0400
This is the fourth and summary report for Burntpoint Creek Research Station
on Hudson Bay operated by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR).
The camp closed on 18 July. The first Polar Bear arrived on the 16th as the
sea ice was rapidly disappearing from Hudson Bay. New birds since the last
report were 3 adult Caspian Terns on 16 July (first record) and a juvenile
Northern Shrike on 15th. Commonest shorebird was the Sanderling with 407
adults migrating east along the coast on 16 July. Total species for the
period 22 June - 18 July 2012 was 70

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Sat, 14 Jul 2012 15:08:25 -0400
This is Jean Iron's third report by satellite phone for the period 7 - 13
July 2012 from Burntpoint Creek Research Station on Hudson Bay. Burntpoint
is operated by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR). The crew
comprises Julie Belliveau (OMNR), Matt Birarda (OMNR), Jean Iron (OFO
volunteer) and Jim Sauer (volunteer).

CLIMATE CHANGE RESEARCH: Ken Abraham reports that "We started a new program
of research on Ontario Tundra Ecosystems in 2012. The lack of information on
this system and its vulnerability to an accelerated rate of climate change
relative to other Ontario ecosystems have been highlighted in the

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Sat, 7 Jul 2012 12:07:10 -0400
This is Jean Iron's second report by satellite phone for the period 30 June
to 6 July 2012 from Burntpoint Creek Research Station on the Ontario coast
of Hudson Bay. Burntpoint is operated by the Ontario Ministry of Natural
Resources (OMNR). See map link below. The Burntpoint crew comprises Julie
Belliveau (OMNR and Trent University), Matt Birarda (OMNR), Jean Iron (OFO
volunteer) and Jim Sauer (volunteer). The recent daily weather has been
variable ranging from 5 to 25 Celsius affected by wind direction and the
camp's close proximity to Hudson Bay. The coast is 3.5 km from camp and
regular

[More ...]
No Replies
Kalasz Kevin (DNREC)
Sat, 30 Jun 2012 16:50:11 +0000
I will be out of the office until Monday July 16. If you need immediate assistance, please call 302-739-9912.
Thanks,
Kevin
No Replies
Jensen, Kent
Sat, 30 Jun 2012 16:49:49 +0000
I will be out of the office until Monday, July 9th. I will be checking my email periodically and will respond as soon as possible. If there is an urgent issue please contact Terri Symens ([log in to unmask]).
No Replies
Jean Iron
Sat, 30 Jun 2012 12:45:45 -0400
This is Jean Iron's first report by satellite phone for the period 22 - 29
June 2012 from Burntpoint Creek Research Station on the Ontario coast of
Hudson Bay in Polar Bear Provincial Park. Burntpoint is operated by the
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR) under the direction of Ken
Abraham, Waterfowl and Wetlands Scientist. The camp is about 1334 km (834
mi) north of Toronto, Ontario and about 74 km (46 mi) east of Peawanuck and
131 km (81 mi) west of Cape Henrietta Maria. The base camp is about 3 km
from the coast. See map link below.

[More ...]
No Replies
Patrick Leary
Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:34:00 -0400
Bandedbirds.org and other contacts seek insight re: research projects that
are color-banding SATE. Please convey what you might know in this regard
directly to BB.org or via this listserve.

Thanks,

Patrick Leary, Fernandina Beach, FL
No Replies
Smith, Fletcher M
Fri, 1 Jun 2012 04:32:22 +0000
I will be out of the office 1 June to 12 July and unable to check email until then. If you need to contact someone at CCB please email Bryan Watts at [log in to unmask]

Thanks,

Fletcher

Fletcher Smith
Research Biologist
The Center for Conservation Biology
The College of William and Mary & Virginia Commonwealth University
Williamsburg, VA
No Replies
Norris, Keith A
Thu, 31 May 2012 22:19:50 -0400
I also saw a Semipalmated Sandpiper with a yellow flag on its upper right
leg in Ohio (metal band on upper left leg). This SESA was spotted on May
30, 2012 just south of Port Clinton, Ohio, USA, in a privately owned
managed marsh unit on Muddy Creek Bay (small part of Sandusky Bay). I was
unable to read the code before the bird (and the rest of the flock) flew
off; the flock was moving quickly between some sparse vegetation which
obscured my view through the scope.

[More ...]
No Replies
William Hull
Thu, 31 May 2012 22:05:50 -0400
I found a Semipalmated Sandpiper with a yellow flag on its right leg
(bird's frame of reference) today, in a flooded field in Newtown,
Hamilton County, Ohio, USA. Unfortunately I could not get close
enough to read any codes. The field is private property that is
scoped from across a street that borders the property. Crossing the
street onto the property itself would most likely result in flushing
the birds.
Cheers,
Bill Hull
Cincinnati, OH, USA
http://www.mangoverde.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mangoverde/
http://www.youtube.com/user/mangoverde2
No Replies
James B. Cole
Tue, 29 May 2012 19:05:57 +0000
I'll be out of the office Tuesday, 28 May, with limited email access. I'll reply to your message as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience. - James
No Replies
Brad Winn
Tue, 29 May 2012 18:59:58 +0000
I will be out of the office and unable to respond to email until July 10. I am sorry for the inconvenience but will be working on Manomet's Shorebird Recovery Program projects in Alaska. Thank you.
No Replies
Arne Jent Lesterhuis
Tue, 29 May 2012 14:49:42 -0400
Dear Shorebird enthusiasts,

We have just finished a final draft of the Lesser Yellowlegs Tringa
flavipes Conservation Plan, on behalf of the Western Hemisphere Shorebird
Reserve Network, and would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone willing
to review the plan, primarily to check:

We would especially appreciate feedback on:
1) the background sections -- are they accurate and do they reflect the
current available information?
2) identified threats -- are all principal threats covered, and how Lesser
Yellowlegs might be affected;
3) actions and timeline -- do these seem reasonable, and do they capture
the important things to do to further

[More ...]
No Replies
Patrick Leary
Sun, 27 May 2012 09:59:36 -0400
Partners: A pre-TS Beryl survey of Ft. Clinch’s west inlet shore this
morning found three broods of WILP chicks, two complete and a third likely
complete but only two chicks were detected in vegetation. More interesting
was sighting a banded WIPL on the river shore very near the oldest brood
within a week of fledging. Despite the banded bird’s close proximity to
the chicks, the guarding male did not drive the interloper away.

[More ...]
No Replies
Patrick Leary
Sat, 12 May 2012 08:08:50 -0400
Members: A REKN banded in San Antonio Oeste, Rio Negro, Argentina and last
sighted there Friday 4, May (Patricia Gonzalez) was resighted yesterday
11, May in Ft. George Inlet, Duval Co, FL. This interval beats the
previous record of Fo[H3H] by two days. It is even possible that the bird
arrived the prior day, but a Fo knot detected on Thursday was observed
briefly before flushing away before the code could be read and the bird
was not resighted during the inlet survey.

[More ...]
No Replies
Patrick Leary
Sat, 12 May 2012 07:42:41 -0400
Per the, yellow-marked, SAND post, the date should have read - 10, May not
3, May as given. The observation was made this week vs. last week.
Location was Huguenot Memorial Park (HMP) Duval county, NE Florida or
south shore of Ft. George Inlet.

Please note,

Patrick Leary
No Replies
Patrick Leary
Sat, 12 May 2012 07:16:58 -0400
Ft. George Inlet (Huguenot Park inlet shore) While surveying Red knots in
the inlet on Thursday 3, May, a Sanderling with a conspicuous yellow
marker mounted on its right leg was briefly sighted before flushing and
flying north across the inlet. Initially the bright marker was mistaken
for a geolocator attached to one of many knots foraging on a distant sand
bar. However, when the knots flushed away, a lone Sanderling remained with
the yellow marker. Although viewed briefly, it was evident that the marker
was a flag of some manner and not a color band. At 4-500 meters distance

[More ...]
Show Replies 5 Replies
Nate Dias
Wed, 9 May 2012 17:01:29 -0400
The below message is forwarded with permission from Chris Feeney who
is still on the ground in China.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, South Carolina, USA

Date : Thu, 18 Mar 2010 22:57:24 +0100
De : Gyorgy Szimuly <[log in to unmask]>
Pour : African Birding <[log in to unmask]>,
[log in to unmask], "[log in to unmask]"

Dear Friends,

Sorry for cross posting.
Can anyone help in this project testing?
http://alturl.com/2von

[More ...]
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Thu, 18 Mar 2010 00:07:24 +0100
Dear Friends,

Sorry for cross posting.
Can anyone help in this project?
http://alturl.com/2von

Cheers, Szimi
No Replies
Schmitt Fabrice
Wed, 21 Oct 2009 17:03:53 +0000
Dear friends:
  Welcome to join our company' member club . Everybody here can enjoy our products' member price. All customers can browse through our company's home page---- www.ybwlok.com> for latest information . Our products (notebook PC,digital camera,plasma and LCD TV,digital DV,Motos,phones,Mp3/4,and so on) all have low price and high quality in order to attract more new customers to cooperate with us . Hope here is your shopping heaven!
Please contact me via
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

[More ...]
No Replies
Pete Myers
Tue, 8 Sep 2009 09:13:52 EDT
A sand-plover, most likely greater, appeared in Virginia 2 days ago near
Staunton, about 40 minutes west of Charlottesville (where I live). It was in
a muddy pond behind this Day's Inn motel:
Days Inn Business Place Hotel
273 Bells Ln # D
Staunton, VA 24401-9013

Here's a link to images:
http://www.birdsofvirginia.com/GalleryPages/Sandplover_Galary.html

I saw it yesterday, along with a lot of other people. Debate still
underway about whether it is a lesser or greater sand-plover. Some people heard
its flight song (I didn't). Does anyone on this list know where there are
online recordings of the two species?

[More ...]
Show Replies 3 Replies
New Urban Research
Wed, 2 Sep 2009 12:39:42 -0700
Hey Group,

We're trying to get the word out regarding a couple of upcoming GIS mapping
workshops in Atlanta. The workshops are geared toward beginners who would
like to map demographic information for Georgia communities. Please pass
this information onto anyone that may be interested. The workshops are
great for Government Agencies, Public Health, Academic Institutions,
Non-Profit Organizations, etc.

[More ...]
No Replies
Robert Wallace
Sun, 30 Aug 2009 16:04:15 -0700
Subject: Palm Beach Sod Farms Shorebirding From: Roberto Torres  Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:33:11 -0400 Angel and Mariel teamed with Trey and me this morning for a trip to the sod farms in western Palm Beach County. We met the group with the TAS trip at Holeyland/Rotenberger WMA in the morning, but knowing we would have to make it a short day went on our own in search of shorebirds ahead of the group. We were hoping to join them again later but car problems prevented that. Heading north on US-27 we stopped at the microwave

[More ...]
No Replies
Jay K
Thu, 27 Aug 2009 18:07:18 -0700
Shorebirders,

A Great Knot was discovered today in, of all places, San Diego, California. It has been photographed and seen by many birders over the past few hours. It is the first record for California and one of a few from the west coast of the continental US. See details here:

[More ...]
No Replies
Gyorgy Szimuly
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:41:08 +0200
Dear Shorebirders,

Let me share a new feature of my blog. OrnithoCalendar is collecting
major and local events from around the world related to birds &
ornithology.
If you wanna participate an ornithological congress, a conference, a
workshop or a general meeting or looking for a bird festival this is
the best place to look for one.

[More ...]
No Replies
Andrew Cripps
Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:20:45 -0400
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 11, 2009

CONTACT: Andrew Cripps
302-539-2100 x14

BIRDERS TO FLOCK TO QUIET RESORTS BIRDING WEEKEND

EVENT: Quiet Resorts Birding Weekend

DATES/TIMES: Friday, October 16 to Sunday, October 18, 2009

PLACES: Locations throughout coastal Delaware, and in southern New Jersey and northern coastal Maryland

ADMISSION: Cost of trips varies. A Weekend Package is available for $45 and includes discounts on trips, admission to the Friday evening reception with a guest presenter, and exclusive souvenir cap, and all park entry fees.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 13:09:52 -0400
James Bay is a shorebirders paradise far from civilization and
pollution. Now back at home in Toronto, I wish to be on the tidal
flats of James Bay surveying shorebirds, so I'm dreaming about next
summer on James Bay.

Link has 5 pages of photos and 1 page of previous 5 reports.
http://www.jeaniron.ca/Trips/JamesBay2009/index.htm

I thank Ron Pittaway who introduced me to shorebirds.

[More ...]
No Replies
Robert Wallace
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 06:02:15 -0700
Greetings - I was able to swing through the Belle Glade ag fields on Sunday afternoon. This is a huge area (2000++ square miles!) of sugarcane production on the SE side of Lake Okeechobee, which also includes the King Ranch (same as in TX) sod fields that are periodically flooded as part of the production cycle to reduce nematodes. Since none of the federal or state wetlands in Florida (such as Lake Apopka Restoration Area near Orlando, which when it was farmed years ago was the best shorebird spot in FL) or the numerous NWRs are managed for shorebirds (they

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Sun, 2 Aug 2009 11:34:13 -0400
The crew is home after spending 14 days surveying shorebirds. This
report covers the period 27-29 July 2009 at Longridge Point, which is
60 km north of Moosonee on southern James Bay. Mark Peck of the Royal
Ontario Museum (ROM) led the crew comprising Amy Whitear (ROM), Doug
McRae, Don Shanahan, Gerry Binsfeld and Jean Iron.

[More ...]
No Replies
Arne J. Lesterhuis
Fri, 31 Jul 2009 18:39:11 +0000
--------- Español abajo --------

Dear Shorebird enthusiasts,
We have just finished a draft of the American Golden Plover Pluvialis dominica conservation plan, on behalf of the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network, and would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone willing to review the plan, primarily to check:
- that it reflects the current state of knowledge of the species throughout its  entire range
- that all principal threats and how they affect the plover populations, are included, and
- whether the actions proposed seem reasonable.
Ideally we'd like to complete the review by Friday 21 of August, so that a final

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:36:00 -0400
Report from Jean Iron on 27 July 2009 for the period 23-26 July from
Longridge Point on southern James Bay. Jean called late this morning
so a few of today's sightings are included in this report. Mark Peck
of the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) heads a group of six who are
surveying migrating shorebirds. The focus of the study is the
endangered rufa subspecies of the Red Knot. The crews survey 15 km of
coastline per day and have recorded 103 bird species to date.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 18:59:59 -0400
This is Jean Iron's report via satellite phone today for the period
19-22 July 2009 from Longridge Point, which is 60 km north of
Moosonee on southern James Bay. Mark Peck of the Royal Ontario Museum
(ROM) heads a group six who are surveying shorebirds with a
particular focus on the endangered rufa subspecies of the Red Knot.
Longridge is an important site for knots with a one-day estimate of
5,000 in the late 1970s. Mark Peck (ROM) is a Canadian member of an
international team studying knots. The ROM group is also studying
Yellow Rails and they are helping

[More ...]
No Replies
Norman D.van Swelm
Sun, 19 Jul 2009 18:43:00 +0200
Two interesting books on waders have appeared recently, a photographic guide by Richard Chandler: Shorebirds of the northern hemisphere (ISBN 978-1-408-10790-4) and the other on wader movements and population size: An Atlas of Wader populations in Africa and Western Eurasia (ISBN 78-90-5882-047-1). Both books treat the taxonomic status of the species mentioned at length but the Atlas fails in illustrating the various races it mentions, a missed chance indeed. Even the few photographs the Atlas does contain lack the date and place where they were taken and so are meaningless in a book like this. Chandler's book is much more

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Sun, 19 Jul 2009 12:36:15 -0400
Jean Iron called me on Saturday (18 July) evening by satellite phone
from Longridge Point on southern James Bay. She is with a crew of six
headed by Mark Peck of the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) surveying
migrating shorebirds, particularly Red Knots of the subspecies rufa,
which is listed as endangered in Canada. Rufa has declined 70% during
the last 15 years. Longridge was chosen as the ROM's survey site
because significant numbers of Red Knots have been recorded there in
the past. The extensive tidal flats and wide coastal marshes of
southern James Bay provide abundant wetland habitats making

[More ...]
No Replies
Patrick Leary
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 16:16:36 -0400
Members: Jean Iron's message is timely. Many may wish to visit the
Seaturtle.org website for maps and plots of satellite-tagged shorebirds.
This May, four WHIM were banded in coastal VA and many will find their
subsequent movements very interesting. One bird in particular is wandering
all over the low arctic after flying to the mouth of the McKenzie River.
Another flew north then quickly returned to the east coast. The odd
behavior of both birds may be reflective of the unusual spring conditions
this year.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Thu, 16 Jul 2009 15:02:52 -0400
Jean Iron phoned me this morning from Moosonee before flying out to
the James Bay coast. A crew headed by Mark Peck of the Royal Ontario
Museum (ROM) will be surveying migrating shorebirds with a particular
focus on Red Knots. Jean is a volunteer with the ROM. The crew
comprises Mark Peck, Amy Whitear, Gerry Binsfeld, Doug McRae, Don
Shanahan and Jean Iron. This morning (16 July) they flew by
helicopter to Longridge Point about 60 km north of Moosonee on the
southwestern coast of James Bay. They are camping and surveying there
until 3 August. See map link below.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:52:55 -0400
Yesterday we saw an adult Lesser Yellowlegs near Toronto and on
Wednesday there was an adult Least Sandpiper in Hamilton at the west
end of Lake Ontario. These are the first "fall migrant" shorebirds in
southern Ontario and they are right on schedule.

Several people asked us to comment about recent reports of a
"Disastrous breeding season in the Arctic". The Arctic is huge; it is
3500 km from southern James Bay (subarctic) to northern Ellesmere
Island. Most shorebirds have large breeding ranges and even in late
years many birds breed successfully and rarely does the entire Arctic
experience the

[More ...]
No Replies
Patrick Leary
Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:02:22 -0400
Members: We were copied a news report out of Winnipeg indicating unusually
cold conditions and snow cover across the eastern arctic, including Hudson
Bay. Apparently, the spring tourist season at Churchill went bust this
year. Such late spring temps. and snow cover had not been experienced
since the 1960's. These conditions were predicted to have dire
consequences for breeding waterfowl and shorebirds throughout the region.

[More ...]
No Replies
Charlie Ewell
Tue, 19 May 2009 14:25:15 +0000
FYI

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 08:51:43 -0400
From: Patrick Leary <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

Members: Please spread the word that NE Florida and Huguenot Park are
currently experiencing extreme weather conditions with high winds, rain
and storm surges along the coast. Huguenot Park MAY BE CLOSED upon
arrival or conditions in the park may be highly adverse to access tidal
habitats

[More ...]
No Replies
Arne J. Lesterhuis
Mon, 18 May 2009 19:26:18 +0000
Estimados Todos,       (English below)

Estoy ayudando el Manomet Center for Conservation Sciences a desarollar el plan de conservación de Phalaropus tricolor para todo su rango de distribución.

Dicho plan intenta ser una herramienta de conservación que guíe las acciones futuras, y para tal fin es necesario identificar aquellos sitios de importancia para la especie hoy en día, para lo cual estoy compilando al máximo la información disponible.

Necesito contar con los siguientes datos (preferiblemente desde el año 90 a la fecha):

1) Sitio de observación y ubicación del mismo (coordenadas preferiblemente)
2) Fecha
3) Número de

[More ...]
No Replies
Charlie Ewell
Sat, 16 May 2009 15:20:23 -0400
Charlie Ewell
Cape Coral, FL
http://www.birdpatrol.org
Burrowing Owl Festival (Feb 21 2009) info at:
http://www.ccfriendsofwildlife.org/
FL Ornithological Society info
http://fosbirds.org

Sunday, February 01, 2009

BY BRIAN T. MURRAY

Star-Ledger Staff

Tiny and easily overlooked among the hordes of more spectacular shorebirds
streaming up and down the Atlantic Coast, the semipalmated sandpiper is
suddenly standing out in the fragile ecological ballet that unfolds annually
at the Delaware Bay.

[More ...]
No Replies
Dominic Mitchell
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 22:39:31 -0000
Forwarded from the BirdsinRussia list, with apologies for cross-posting:

Dear all,

A paper on the migration of Bar-tailed Godwits from Alaska to New Zealand
has just been published in Proc Roy Soc B - it is available for free
download, open access at

http://journals.royalsociety.org/content/224x500552515823/

Happy reading

David Melville (posted on behalf of the authors)

Rgds
Show Replies 1 Reply
Norman D.van Swelm
Thu, 1 Jan 2009 16:45:03 +0100
Winter has struck the North Sea coasts. Ice on the beaches is forming
rapidly. Thus it seems we will have a severe winter coming. Nothing new as
every decade in the past had between one and three such winters. What
happens next is a mass exodus of waders south or southwest to ice-free
estuaries in France, Spain and Portugal. However not all waders leave. In
the Rhine-Meuse estuary in particular thousands of Oystercatchers, Icelandic
Redshank, Curlews, Sanderlings, Turnstones, Dunlin, Greenland Knots and some
Bar-tailed and Icelandic Godwits will stay behind and try to withstand the
frost. The first waders to

[More ...]
No Replies
Thomas J. Dunkerton
Fri, 28 Nov 2008 20:55:55 EST
Greetings All,

I'm officially abandoning my aol address. Some of you are recipients of
e-mails from me from another address as well, so if you get multiple "address
change" notifications, take your pick as to which one to use as I'm trimming
it down to two e-mail addresses.
Some of you have simply been added to my address book automatically via
listservs, if this is the case, please disregard this message.

[More ...]
No Replies
New Urban Research
Tue, 4 Nov 2008 10:20:15 -0800
> Good afternoon,
> I'm writing to remind you about this great opportunity coming up next week
> in Atlanta. We're getting the word out to the environmental and ecological
> groups in community and hope you'll join us. Please let me know if you
> need additional information.
>
> Gina Clemmer
> New Urban Research, Inc.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

> Mapping Georgia Communities: An Introduction to GIS & Community Analysis -
> One Day Workshops
>
> Atlanta: November 13 & 14*
> 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
> Classroom Resource Group Learning Center
> One Glenlake Parkway,

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:17:51 -0400
Please see several pages of shorebird photos from my August trip to
Akimiski Island in James Bay, Nunavut, Canada. The 6 reports filed
from the field are appended.

http://www.jeaniron.ca/2008/AkimiskiAug08/index.htm

Jean Iron
Toronto, Ontario
No Replies
Patrick Leary
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:55:28 -0400
Message following was excerpted from a recent post (by another member) to
the Floridabirds Listserve. Note: The same issue/concern has been
discussed with local management re flooded athletic fields in Fernandina
Beach in NE Florida. During TS conditions, local fields also attract:
Pectoral, Buff-breasted, Solitary, White-rumped, Semipalmated, Least and
Western Sandpipers, yellowlegs, plovers, Red and Red-necked Phalaropes and
other migrant shorebirds.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Tue, 26 Aug 2008 15:30:13 -0400
This is Jean Iron's last report from Akimiski Island for the period
20 - 25 August 2008. She was a volunteer surveying shorebirds for the
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR) and Trent University.
Note increasing proportions of juveniles for many species listed below.

Black-bellied Plover: 7 on 21 Aug, 6 on 22nd, 9 on 23rd, 7 on 24th.
All molting adults, a couple in almost full alternate plumage.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 17:03:46 -0400
Continued from part A. Post # 5 is divided into two emails A and B.
This is part B.

SHOREBIRD POPULATION TRENDS: Are shorebirds declining? Bart et al.
(2007) discussed shorebird population trends. They analyzed long-term
shorebird data from two survey regions: the North Atlantic and
Midwest USA regions. The North Atlantic region showed an overall
decline of 2.17% per year (P = 0.004). Among 30 species, 73% showed
declines, 9 species declined significantly and none increased
significantly. The Midwest region showed no clear evidence of an
overall decline in 29 species. The authors stated, "The finding that
trends were

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 16:52:28 -0400
Post # 5 is divided into two emails A and B. This is first part A.

Jean Iron's report for the period 14 - 19 August 2008 by satellite
phone from Akimiski Island in James Bay. She is a volunteer surveying
shorebirds for the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR) and
Trent University under the direction of Research Scientist Ken
Abraham. Akimiski is the largest island in James Bay with an area of
3208 sq km based on Landsat imagery (Andrew Jano, retired OMNR, pers.
comm.). Note that this figure is larger than published figures
because it includes coastal mudflats

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:13:22 -0400
Jean Iron's report for the period 9 - 13 August 2008 via satellite
phone from Akimiski Island, Nunavut, in James Bay. She is a volunteer
surveying shorebirds for the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources
(OMNR) and Trent University under the direction of Research Scientist
Ken Abraham. At low tide the mudflats in front of camp extend out
more than 2 km. The flats are a mixture of mud and rocks with
thousands of shallow pools. The high density of tidal pools provides
ideal feeding habitats for shorebirds. Counts are done at or near
high tide when birds are concentrated close

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 14:50:43 -0400
This is Jean Iron's report for the period 6 - 8 August 2008 from
Akimiski Island, Nunavut, in James Bay. She is a volunteer with the
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR) and Trent University
under the direction of Research Scientist Ken Abraham. The camp is on
the island's northeast coast (53 deg 06 min N, 80 deg 57 min W).
Nights are cool and day temperatures reach 15C. Morning fog and 9
Polar Bears are restricting surveys. Recent observations below.

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:52:16 -0400
This is Jean Iron's report for period 3 - 5 August 2008 via satellite
phone from Akimiski Island in James Bay. Jean is a volunteer
surveying shorebirds to support studies on birds and habitat use by
the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR) and Trent
University. There are 50 shorebird species on the Ontario Bird
Checklist (Ontario Field Ornithologists 2008) with 35 species
occurring regularly in the province (Ontario Shorebird Conservation
Plan 2003). There are 31 species on the Nunavut Bird Checklist for
the Bay Islands Region (Richards et al. 2002). Aerial surveys by the
Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) and

[More ...]
No Replies
Robert Wallace
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 18:18:23 -0700
Greetings - on Saturday 8/2 I met up with intrepid Miami birders Roberto "Toe" Torres, Paul "Life is Good" Bithorn, Trey "Big Lens" Mitchell and a number of others, for a tour of the Sugar Cane and sod fields east of Belle Glade FL (near Lake Okeechobee). The farmers flood the fields to control nematodes and weeds before planting, creating prime conditions for migrating shorebirds. This management system has been in practice for many years by area farmers, and draws literally thousands of migrating shorebirds, and thousands of herons, egrets, ibises, storks and other water birds to the fields as

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Sun, 3 Aug 2008 08:58:44 -0400
Jean Iron called late last night (Aug 2) by satellite phone from
Akimiski Island, Nunavut, in James Bay. She is volunteering again
with the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources (OMNR) under the
general direction of Research Scientist Ken Abraham (OMNR) and
Professor Erica Nol of Trent University. There are 6 people including
Jean in camp from OMNR and Trent. I'll report more about their
studies in future posts. James Bay reaches deep into Eastern Canada
between Ontario and Quebec. Hundreds of thousands of shorebirds stage
on the wide tidal flats and coastal marshes in transit between the
Arctic and wintering

[More ...]
No Replies
Mauricio Ugarte-Lewis
Sun, 27 Jul 2008 20:07:44 -0700
HI everybody:
I am new in the list, i am from Peru; this time i am just starting with  a question for everybody, i upload in the birdingperu web page two BAD pics of a Curlew that i am not able to identify, maybe someone can help with this, because seems to be no one can with this so far

[More ...]
No Replies
Andrea Lyn Storm-Suke
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:28:00 -0400
Hello,

I am a graduate student working out of Trent University looking at the use of stable isotopes to elucidate patterns of migratory connectivity in Semipalmated Plovers.

I am wondering if 1) anyone will be sampling shorebirds on their wintering grounds between January and April 2009 (anywhere from the coastal southern east or west US to Mexico, the Caribbean or South America). If so, would it be possible for you to collect the 7th primary feathers from wintering Semipalmated Plovers (or Killdeer), in addition to collecting a water sample from the sampling location. And/or 2) if anyone is aware of

[More ...]
No Replies
Jenifer Hilburn
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 08:54:22 -0700
Hello all, I am looking for a standarized, or even informal survey methodology for (inland, although any would work) Least Terns? Thanks Jen   Jenifer D. Hilburn Island Ornithologist St. Catherines Island Georgia, USA   ________________________________ The task is still impossible, but it is slowly yielding to a persistent unwillingness to accept that reality. Timothy Keith-Lucas ________________________________ ----- Original Message ---- From: Robert Wallace <[log in to unmask]> To: [log in to unmask] Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 7:25:29 AM Subject: [SHOREBIRDS] Shorebird migration, Ponce Inlet Greetings - The first wave of shorebirds was on the sandbar inside Ponce Inlet this weekend (also because the 4th of July

[More ...]
No Replies
Robert Wallace
Mon, 14 Jul 2008 04:25:29 -0700
Greetings - The first wave of shorebirds was on the sandbar inside Ponce Inlet this weekend (also because the 4th of July boat traffic was absent) - about 100 plovers (mostly SEPL and WIPL), a small group of BBPLs, Willets, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, and a group of RUTUs.

There was a juvenile Great Black-backed Gull on the beach, but my guess is this was a summer holdover.

[More ...]
No Replies
Norman D.van Swelm
Fri, 4 Jul 2008 14:56:36 +0200
Martin Collinson wrote: >I feel there's been (until you) no rebuttal of this Eskimo Curlew claim because many people thought it was not necessary.<

Peter Adriaens wrote: >Next, you will probably come up with similar 'evidence' of a breeding population of Ivory-billed Woodpeckers in The Netherlands!<

Guys! Believe me, I know how you feel. Had I known I was photographing an Eskimo Curlew my hands would have started to tremble indefinitely and I would not even have been able to take the poor quality photo's as Ron has described them so kindly. Fortunately I only saw a tiny brown curlew

[More ...]
No Replies
Norman D.van Swelm
Thu, 3 Jul 2008 00:48:57 +0200
Have a look here please:

http://members.lycos.nl/radioactiverobins/snipes-waders/eskimo%20curlew%20numenius%20borealis.htm

Cheers, Norman
Show Replies 2 Replies
Jean Iron
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:34:16 -0400
We had a satellite phone call from from Akimiski Island, James Bay,
Canada, for the period 11-26 June 2008. Mark Peck of the Royal
Ontario Museum, Tyler Hoar and Gerry Binsfeld arrived on Akimiski
Island on 11 June and will be leaving the Island tomorrow, 27 June.
They are surveying shorebirds along coastal transects north and south
of camp, and inland along a 7 km transect through black and white
spruce, wet areas, and a previous burn now growing in with balsam
poplar. They are also monitoring Semipalmated Plovers and Killdeers.
During 16 days of surveys they have walked over

[More ...]
No Replies
Jean Iron
Tue, 17 Jun 2008 21:34:23 -0400
Please see photo link of my recent trip to Akimiski Island in James
Bay, Canada. There are 6 pages of photos plus page 7 with all 7
reports from the field posted to SHOREBIRDS.
http://www.jeaniron.ca/2008/Akimiski2008/index.htm

Jean Iron
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
No Replies
Norman D.van Swelm
Fri, 13 Jun 2008 23:33:54 +0200
Pictures of 2 males and one female Greenland Knot can be seen here:

http://members.lycos.nl/radioactiverobins/snipes-waders/waders-knots%205b.htm

One of the males has reddish feathers on throat and underparts. There are
not many Knots left in the Dutch delta and it is usually difficult to come
close to them. Do any of you know if 2nd calendar year Knots reach the
breeding grounds? I have seen pictures of grey winter plumaged Knots taken
on the Siberian breeding grounds but I am not sure these were 2nd CY birds.
Cheers, Norman
No Replies
Jean Iron
Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:44:08 -0400
This is Jean Iron's final report for the period 7 - 11 June 2008 from
Akimiski Island in James Bay, Canada. Recent below average
temperatures and prevailing strong north winds have made for
difficult conditions. The nice part is that mosquitoes didn't bother
researchers. It has been a cold late spring in the James Bay region to date.

[More ...]
No Replies