From:
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:10:18 -0500
Subject: Are Paper Maps Relevant?--staffing
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:17:21 -0600
From: McEathron, Scott R <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Haven't we already talked about this?  If you have a map that shows the
locations of weapons of mass destruction, please send it to The White
House, Attn: Richard Cheney, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, DC
20500. The point is that it is the geographical information the would
make the aforementioned map relevant--not the medium.

The only reason they were ever relevant is that paper was the preferred
the medium on which geographic information and data was captured, stored
and hopefully, communicated.  The fact that they are on paper is less
important than the information.  It is apparent that geographers and
others interested in problems of a geographical nature are now using
other media in addition to paper.

However, paper maps are still useful in an educational setting.  I stand
by what I wrote in CP no. 40.

staffing
If geography is everywhere--library administrations should increase
staffing of "us"--but perhaps we should be everywhere too?  I think it
is ok to move out of the basements and onto the main level--literally
and figuratively.

Scott R. McEathron
Map Librarian
Anschutz Library -- University of Kansas
1301 Hoch Auditoria Drive
Lawrence, KS  66045-7537