From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:22:49 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 10:15:06 -0400
From: David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Oceanographic Query?
Sender: David Cobb <[log in to unmask]>

Colleagues -

Just when you think you have heard them all - this is alumni week at our
little college in the Northeast and we are often visited by alumni wanting
to view maps of various geographical regions and are often asked questions
regarding maps and of our current exhibit on 'Early Maps of Africa.' This
morning, our alumni question has moved slightly beyond the realm of our map
collection and I offer it to those knowing more of the oceans. Essentially,
the question is: If the earth truly does bulge at the equator are there
corresponding measurements of sea level that also shows a bulge of water
there? Rather than being concerned about tides or cold vs. warm currents is
there a consistent high level of water associated with the equator?

Any information or thoughts on possible sources for information would be
greatly appreciated.

David Cobb
David A. Cobb                                           Tel. 617.495.2417
Harvard Map Collection                          FAX  617.496.0440
Harvard College Library                         Email: [log in to unmask]
Cambridge, MA 02138                                     HTTP://hcl.harvard.edu/maps
--- End Forwarded Message ---