From:
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:38:06 -0500
Subject: Re: weight of map cases]]
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 00:58:20 -0500 (EST)
From: Jon Jablonski <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
On Fri, 11 Feb 2005, Johnnie D. Sutherland wrote:

> From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
> To: 'Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum' <[log in to unmask]>
>
> ------------------
> In 1961, Catherine Bahn of the Library of Congress did an article for
> Special Libraries Association Geography and Map Division Bulletin on Map
> Libraries Space and Equipment.  It includes a table for filled map cases,
> estimated weight of maps, etc.  The weight of the map case top and base are
> included and I found the weight of the topless 5 drawer map case in the
> Hamilton catalog.  The basics have not changed since the article which has
> been quoted widely.

I'm not sure if any of the later revisions have taken this into account,
but I'd like to put in my $.02:

More modern cases (I would guess post-1980?) seem to be a it less sturdy
than older versions.  I suspect it is a move to thinner steel or even
subsitituting aluminum for much of the construction.  We have experience
some serious sagging--make that deforming--in moderm cases stacked only 4
high, even though we have WWII vintage cases stacked 6 high.

It may only be a suspicion on my part.  And I'm not considering running
any empirical tests to seeif I can crush the older ones by making them
heavier.

-jon jablonski
  University of Oregon