DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
James Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 17:10:56 -0400
Dear Matías,

Quite a while ago., I worked with Dr. Robert Caldwell to develop a multiple cropping system model, CropSys, that incorporated all of the DSSAT crop models that were available at the time (1991).  It is described in:

Caldwell, R.M. and Hansen, J.W., 1993. Simulation of multiple cropping systems with CropSys. Pp. 397-412 in: Penning de Vries, F.W.T., Teng, P., and Metselaar, K. (Eds.), Systems Approaches for Agricultural Development, Vol. 2. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands.

Unfortunately we did not have the resources to incorporate major crop model structure changes associated with the transition from DSSAT v. 2 to v. , or to maintain CropSys.  Robert Caldwell maintained an educational version for at least a while.

Other potentially-relevant papers (which I haven't looked at carefully):

Robert M. Caldwell, Anthony A. J. Fernandez, A generic model of hierarchy for systems analysis and simulation, Agricultural Systems, Volume 57, Issue 2, June 1998, Pages 197-225.

H. Sinoquet, M. Rakocevic, C. Varlet-Grancher, Comparison of models for daily light partitioning in multispecies canopies, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, Volume 101, Issue 4, 12 April 2000, Pages 251-263.

E. Malezieux, E., et al. 2009. Mixing plant species in cropping systems: concepts, tools and models. A review. Agron. Sustain. Dev. 29:43–62.

B. A. Keating, P. S. Carberry, Resource capture and use in intercropping: solar radiation, Field Crops Research, Volume 34, Issues 3-4, September 1993, Pages 273-301.

Sillon, J., Ozier-Lafontaine, H., Brisson, N. 2000. Modelling daily root interactions for water in a tropical shrub and grass alley cropping system. Agroforestry Systems 49:131-152.

García-Barrios, L., Mayer-Foulkes, D., Franco, M., Urquijo-Vásquez, G., Franco-Pérez, J. 2001. Development and validation of a spatially explicit individual-based mixed crop growth model. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology 63:507-526.