DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Kofikuma DZOTSI <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:39:01 +0100
Dear Juan,

The CERES models (and I suppose the CROPGRO's) are very sensitive to soil
depth but I am not clear if they handle soil evaporation to the extent that
no tillage can be reflected as you intend it. You might want to check your
soil file and see if the parameters specified (esp. if generated by DSSAT)
reflect your growing conditions. For instance, once you limit soil depth to
40 cm e.g., the model will indirectly reflect the negative effect of soil
impediments on rooting conditions and nutrition- and therefore yield. It
sounds like in your case, the roots are rather thriving well even in shallow
soils- the positive effect on observed yields therefore. In the model, the
SRGF is also important (among others of course) in this process. You might
consider readjusting your SRGF values to reflect how no till influences root
distribution.

Best regards

Kofikuma