DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
vasiraju murthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:05:37 +0530
Dear Jones,

Regards,

I am glad to read the minutes of the ICASA Forum held during 4 th
International Crop Science Congress as detailed below.I appreciate the
concern shown by you on introducing DSSAT in teaching at U.G. and P.G.
level.

I wish to inform that after i learned the DSSAT from May to August 2000 in
your laboratory at Florida  i wrote a major part of a chapter on DSSAT in my
book "Basic Principles of Agricultural Meteorology" released in 2002.This
was done as per my promise made to you that i will do it in India
irrespective of its difficulties.I am glad to inform that i am teaching this
from theory point of view only.

Hope some day i will learn more on the latest version of DSSAT and teach
from practical point of view also.

Murthy.

"undergraduate initiative to introduce crop modeling and model applications
into
their curricula. Jim Jones pointed out that the Dutch systems scientists
from Wageningen Agricultural University have been leaders in educating
students and postgraduates on models and systems analysis methods".

>From: Gerrit Hoogenboom <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Minutes of the ICASA Forum held during the 4th International Crop
>             Science Congress
>Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:09:57 -0400
>
>ICASA Forum at the 4th International Crop Science Congress
>Brisbane, Australia
>September 28, 2004
>
>An information exchange forum was held during the Fourth International Crop
>Science Congress in Brisbane, Australia on September 28, 2004. The purposes
>of this two-hour meeting were to introduce ICASA to participants of this
>congress, to have different groups report on recent advances in models,
>data, and other systems application tools, and to encourage participation
>in ICASA. Forty-eight people attended the meeting, including 3 Board
>members (Brian Keating, Claudio Stockle, and Jim Jones). A list of
>attendees is attached.
>
>Jim Jones presented an overview of ICASA to the attendees (attached
>powerpoint file) and encouraged them to visit the ICASA home page
>(icasa.net) to learn more about it and how to join. Following this
>overview, several reports were given.
>
>Jim Hansen of the IRI in New York announced the availability of daily
>weather data from thousands of weather stations worldwide, in ICASA format,
>from his institution. This will also be announced on the ICASA web site,
>with a link to the IRI site where the data can be downloaded in ICASA
>format. This format is described at the icasa.net website. Jim Jones
>pointed out that there are also efforts to develop soil data files for crop
>model use in Africa that could be made available. Gerrit Hoogenboom and
>Phil Thornton are contacts for this work.
>
>Brian Keating and Michael Robertson of APSRU in Australia described recent
>advances in their APSIM model development and emphasized their support for
>ICASA as a forum for information exchange and cooperation. They also
>emphasized the applications of APSIM in Australia, including a new effort
>in which farmers can operate this model, and internationally, which is
>about 20% of their effort.
>
>Claudio Stockle reported on new developments in the CROPSYST cropping
>system model, emphasizing the importance of object-oriented design for
>flexibility and applications. He also indicated that the CROPGRO model from
>DSSAT had been incorporated into a new version of CROPSYST, via cooperation
>with the Florida DSSAT group.
>
>Tom Gerik of Texas A&M University reported on recent applications of the
>EPIC and associated models from Temple, Texas group. Their work is
>increasingly emphasizing spatial applications at farm and watershed scales.
>
>Ken Boote of the University of Florida reported that DSSAT version 4.0 has
>been released and has already been used in several training programs. He
>also pointed out that the cropping system model in DSSAT, with the CERES
> [...]

Seized by wanderlust? Have the best vacation ever.
http://www.msn.co.in/Travel/ Team up with MSN Travel!