DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
"Dr.Gamal Salah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2007 08:37:45 -0800
Prof.Gerrit
  Thanks for your interesting African Scientists.
  About START Program we tried with them several times but we failed to get anything but  in fact I don't know the reasons .
  So if you know any possibilty to collaborate with any group we are ready for that.
  In fact I am using WRF (Weather Research Forecast,NCAR Boulder Colorado)the latest version in our department and try to build a WRF community in Egypt so we need also the WRF-Chem to run it bcause Cairo is one of megacities; these cities are facing air pollution
problems. Concternations from man-made gaseous and particulates rank among
the highest in the world. In addition to this locally-produced aerosol,
huge amounts of other aerosols can be transported to Cairo and some cities
in Egypt at two specific periods of the year.

1)In spring seasons (March-April-May) starts the 'dust season' that peaks
in March and April. During this period mineral dust released in deserts by
wind erosion are transported to both cities by strong southern or
south-western dry winds (Khamsin depressions).
2)In autumn seasons (September- October- November) and due to weather
situation is more stable these cities undergo many local problems due
thermal inversions near the ground. This phenomena leads to a trapping of
the pollution in the boundary layer, causing more environmental problems
to these cities. For instance, in October and November a large temporal
enhancement in local pollution can be observed in Cairo. This phenomenon,
also nicknamed the 'black cloud', happens to coincide with the period
during which peasants in the countryside burn rice residues after
harvesting. To this day, it is not clear whether the 'black cloud' results
from transport of the biomass burning cloud to Cairo or is more simply due
to specific meteorological conditions that are particularly favorable at
that time of year to accumulation of urban pollution over the city.

I visited NCAR last Summer as I invited by Prof.Roy Rasmussen and Prof.Tom
Warner.
RAL hosted and assisted me in learning to use the WRF model. During this
visit, plans were made to launch a collaborative research project with two
universities in Cairo, and a proposal was written to the U.S. State
Department to develop a mesoscale modeling capability in Egypt.

So we need also from NOAA to support us in addition to NCAR and trying to
find a collaboration between the American scientists and our
meteorological community in Egypt.

Thanks for your time and hope to collaborate with you and American organizations and Universities.
With my kind regards
Gamal

  Gerrit Hoogenboom <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  >Capacity Building Programs: African Small Grants
>
>Past START/PACOM Awardees
>2005
>|
>2004
>| 2003
>
>START/PACOM
>2007 Call for Propoasals
>
>Small Research Grants for African Global Change Scientists
>
>In 2003 the International START Secretariat and
>the Pan African START Committee (PACOM), with
>funding from the United States National Science
>Foundation/ US Climate Change Science Program
>(NSF/USCCSP), initiated a program of small
>research grants to global change scientists in
>Africa. Awards are made to scientists based at
>African institutions for research projects related to:
>
>1) Climate Variability and Climate Change in Africa
>
>2) Impacts/Adaptations/Vulnerability to Global Change
>
>3) Land Use and Ecosystem Change
>
>4) Bio-geochemical Fluxes, and
>
>5) Biodiversity.
>
>All projects fall within the research frameworks
>of START's sponsoring programs (IHDP, IGBP, and
>WCRP). Many of them also contribute to the joint
>research projects of the Earth System Science
>Partnership: Water Systems, the Global Carbon
>Cycle, and Global Change and Food Security.
>
>For more information, contact:
>Email: [log in to unmask]
>
>----------
>
>************START/PACOM 2007 CALL FOR PROPOSALS************
>A Call for Research Proposals related to Environmental Change
>tendered to the African Global Change Research Community
>
>Downloads:
>Call
>- PDF
>Cover
>sheet - Word
>
>I. Background
>
>The Mission of START and PACOM
>
>START, the global change SysTem for Analysis,
>Research and Training, co-sponsored by the Earth
>Systems Science Partnership[1], seeks to enhance
>the scientific capacity of developing regions to
>conduct global change research. START promotes
>regional collaborative research networks, which
>conduct research on regional aspects of
>environmental change, assess impacts and
>vulnerabilities to such changes, and provide
>information to policy-makers. START mobilizes
>resources to support infrastructure and research
>programs on environmental change within
>developing regions and provides a variety of
>capacity building opportunities aimed at young
>scientists who are pursuing global change
>research within these regions. Through its
>various activities, START enhances the
>scientific capacity of developing countries to
>address the complex processes of environmental change and degradation.
>
>PACOM, the Pan-African Committee for START,
>serves as a regional coordination body for
>START’s activities in Africa. PACOM is comprised
>of scientists and policy-makers who are actively
>engaged in activities addressing issues related
>to global change and its relation to sustainable
> [...]

      Dr.Gamal Salah El Afandi
University of Al Azhar
Faculty of science (Males) at Cairo
  Department of Astronomy and Meteorology
  Nasr City,P.O.B.11884
  Cairo,Egypt
  Tel. 002028701259 home     Tel. 002022618163 Work
Tel. 0020103770593 Cell      Fax 002022629356 Work

Bored stiff? Loosen up...