DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jon Lizaso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:56:05 -0600
Dear Dr Hansen,
I worked on the problem of water excess in corn with Joe Ritchie and we
have a book chapter and a CERES-Maize version sensitive to water excess.
The bad news is that this version is compatible with the old 2.0 (2.1?)
version of the model. The model calculated soil oxygen stress and affected
growth (both shoot and roots), phenology and yields.
Lizaso, J.I. and J.T. Ritchie. 1997. A modified version of CERES to predict
the impact of soil water excess on maize crop growth and development. pp:
153-167. In: M.J. Kropff, P.S. Teng, P.K. Aggarwal, J. Bouma, B.A.M.
Bouman, J.W. Jones and H.H. van Laar (Eds). Applications of Systems
Approaches at the field level. Vol 2. Kluwer Academic Publishers, London, U.K.

Based on this work, later Joe Ritchie and Bill Batchelor developed a
research version of CERES-Maize, including tile drainage and water excess.
My understanding is that these changes have not been included in the
current release, nor in the upcoming 4.0 windows-based release of the
models. Also I'm not aware of any testing/validation/calibration of the
water excess components of this research version.

If you or any in the list would like additional information, please contact
me directly. Thanks,

Best regards,

At 09:31 AM 2/14/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Dear Colleagues,
>
>I received a request for guidance on using CERES-Maize to assess losses
>expected from intermittent flooding in Kenya.  Are you familiar with any
>adaptations of the CERES models that simulate damage from anaerobic
>conditions?
>
>Regards,
>--
>Dr. James W. Hansen
>Associate Research Scientist - Agricultural Systems
>International Research Institute for Climate Prediction
>The Earth Institute at Columbia University
>121 Monell Bldg., Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
>PO Box 1000 / 61 Route 9W
>Palisades, NY 10964-8000
>USA
>
>voice:  +1-845-680-4410
>fax:    +1-845-680-4864
>e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>WWW:    http://iri.columbia.edu/cgi-bin/ForOne.cgi?jhansen

Jon I. Lizaso
Dep. Agricultural & Biosystems Engineering
124 Davidson Hall
Iowa State University    515 294 7350 (Voice)
Ames IA 50011            515 294 2552 (Fax)