DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Kofikuma DZOTSI <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jun 2003 08:40:25 -0000
Dear Luis,
There are many options to set about your problem: you may use data and information from one field (all trials x all seasons) to calibrate the model and try to validate it at the second field. Alternatively you can use information from both fields restricted to years 1997 and 2000 to calibrate the model and then validate with 2001 data. Actually it is recommended to use the most accurate data for calibration (1997 or 2001 or field 1 data may be more reliable than the others). In southern Togo we have used one year data (many fields) to calibrate CERES-Maize and we could validate at a second site with different agro-environmental conditions. This allowed us to account for different soil, weather, and management conditions. The job is not so straightforward I should add. Next we used the validated model with long term weather data to derive recommendations on best combinations of sowing dates, cultivars, and nitrogen (paper in press).

Quite all that happens for a good calibration is make sure the basic data you use are the most reliable you have. The least information (field observation on crop response to drought, plant population...) may be useful and interfere. It is important to detect such interferences and account for them, sometimes by modifying the soil or the experimental file accordingly to reflect such differences if they cannot basically show up in genetic coefficients. It might not be useful to wait for multi-years' trial to validate a model- securely there are many things you can already do with your 2 fields x 3 years data set,

Best regards
Kofikuma

IFDC Africa Division
Crop simulation modeling (Soil fertility)
www.ifdc.org