DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Ken Boote <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:31:50 -0400
Angela,

Those MG are almost not affected by photoperiod and cool temperature is
your problem.  That is why GDD might work for Canada, but not for USA.
This would be true for R stages.  For V stages, we see no difference
among cultivars in rate of leaf appearance regardless of location.  All
have same base temperature, 8 C, which we apply for hourly temperature
cycle.  Our TRIFOL coefficient, of 0.32 per physiological day, means
that a leaf is formed every 1/0.32 days at optimum temperature of 28 to
35 C,  (a bit more than 3 days per leaf at optimum temperature).  Using
a Tb of 8, can you translate what that means for your GDD system for
leaf appearance?  Remember to go from hourly values to Tave which is the
typical for GDD systems.

Ken Boote