DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
Jim Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2011 10:31:10 -0500
Dear Maha,

I developed a tool that generates time series of daily weather that
exactly match a series of monthly targets, but with statistical
properties that are consistent with historic daily observations at a
given location.  It is described in:

Hansen, J.W. and Ines, A.V.M., 2005. Stochastic disaggregation of
monthly rainfall data for crop simulation studies. Agric. For. Meteorol.
131:233 246.

It uses the same stochastic weather generator that I developed for the
WeatherMan software that is part of DSSAT 4.x (described in: Hansen,
J.W. and Mavromatis, T., 2001. Correcting low frequency variability bias
in stochastic weather generators. Agric. For. Meteorol. 109:297-310;
Mavromatis, T. and Hansen, J.W., 2001. Interannual variability
characteristics and simulated crop response of four stochastic weather
generators. Agric. For. Meteorol. 109:283-296; and Hansen, J.W., 1999.
Stochastic daily solar irradiance for biological modeling applications.
Agric. For. Meteorol. 94:53-63.).  It uses the same parameter file that
WeatherMan produces and uses for its unconstrained weather generator,
but is constrained to reproduce a time series of monthly targets.  This
of course assumes that you have sufficient historic daily data to
estimate the weather generator parameters.

I have not yet implemented a user-friendly GUI version.  For my own
work, I developed a stand-alone command-line version of the parameter
estimation tool (extracted from what I developed for WeatherMan),
stand-alone weather disaggregation tools for DSSAT and APSIM weather
file formats, and a version that also deals with dewpoint and wind speed
to support variations of the Penman model of potential
evapotranspiration (used for the SARRA-H crop models).  If you are
interested, let me know, and I can send files and instructions.

Regards,

Jim

--
James W. Hansen, Ph.D.
Research Scientist - Agricultural Systems, CCAFS Theme 4 Leader

voice:  +1-845-680-4410
fax:    +1-845-680-4864
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW:    http://iri.columbia.edu/cgi-bin/staff?jhansen