DSSAT Archives

DSSAT - Crop Models and Applications

DSSAT@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

From:
James Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 09:27:55 -0500
Michael,

There are many types of climate data.  Can you be more specific?  If
daily weather, the first place to look is the National Climate Data Center:
http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/climatedata.html

They have daily weather for thousands of stations around the world
starting from 1994.  1978-1991 data are available on CD-ROM:

http://nndc.noaa.gov/?http://ols.nndc.noaa.gov/plolstore/plsql/olstore.prodspecific?prodnum=C00449-CDR-A0001

They have a new CD-ROM product that looks very promising:

http://nndc.noaa.gov/?http://ols.nndc.noaa.gov/plolstore/plsql/olstore.prodspecific?prodnum=C00351-CDR-A0001

I do not yet have it in hand.  It looks like it combines many data sets
onto one source with a common format.

The US National Weather Service Climate, Prediction Center, African Desk,
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/african_desk/
produced a CD-ROM with continent-wide 1987-1995 daily weather data.  I
have not looked at it closely.

UCAR has an eclectic assortment of data sets, including a number with
older data:
http://dss.ucar.edu/catalogs/atmlists/
They have daily data for Brazil:
http://dss.ucar.edu/datasets/ds517.0/

Daily solar radiation data are available from:
http://wrdc-mgo.nrel.gov/

My institution's data library has substantial data related to climate
modeling and seasonal climate forecasting.  Our daily data set is
expanding, borrowing from some of the sources I listed above:
http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/

I hope you find this helpful.

--
Dr. James W. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist - Agricultural Systems

voice:  +1-845-680-4410
fax:    +1-845-680-4864
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW:    http://iri.columbia.edu/cgi-bin/ForOne.cgi?jhansen